mplayer won't play dvd

kilimanjaro

I havung a problem with mplayer. When I try to play a dvd it freezes for a minute and the says that there are too many video packets in the buffer. I had to reinstall it. I tried installing mencoder and had problems. it worked fine before and now it doesn't work for dvd, mpeg seems fine. This is why I am afraid to install 9.2.

When I xkill mplayer after it has frozen it only stops the gui. I have to use system monitor to actually shut it down and when I do it says

mplayer interupted by signal 15 in module: demux_open

whatever this means.

I have a couple of dvd's it does that it does the same thing with. Stinks that I have to have 4 dvd players to play all my dvd's :roll: . I only need one on Win2k :lol: :roll: When mplayer does that, xine usually succeeds :P. Totem's sound is sometimes screwy, and ogle?....well ogle is downright ugly, and featureless, but sometimes needed.

Do an uninstall of mplayer and memcoder. Then make sure there is no mplayer installed still by doing a

rpm -qa | grep mplayer

and even searching for any mplayer files still on the hard drive. Remove any folders created by mplayer in your personal folder.

Then do a urpmi mplayer to get it installed again.. Can't recal lif this is a plf urpmi source or just a standard mandrake..

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem in the topic's title.

When I play a dvd (first time I try) with mplayer I see the movie picture corrupted in many small squares and the audio playing stepwise. After about 10 sec the following error appears:

"demux: File doesn't contain the selected audio or video stream"

Tried to change the codecs and demuxer setting in the config panel without result. At least I didn't try all the possible codec families (dont know which is the DVD one).

Totem doesn't work as well. It suggest someting like css coding (evidently non included in totem).

ML 9.2