9.2 for amd64 beta 1 installation issues

Guest ramazz

asus k8v pro bios 1003.012

powercolor radeon 9600pro

During the first part of the installation when it tries to load the installation gui, i get an xfree86 error. Something about no user found ... THis is a dual boot system so I'll write down the proper error and post back later.

Anybody else having problems??

I do alot of beta testing for commercial products as well as running cooker normally.. ZNever had an installation problem like this before though...

Worst /wierdest one I had was 9.2 beta 1 (32 bit) would tell me I had to pick a base package after I had already picked all my packages.. but only on one of my systems... the rest were fine... I dunno.

crossing my fingers... one of the main reasons I brought this system in was to play with 64 bit stuff and do alot of testing before I started selling them to clients. oh.. and of course for the bragging rights of having the latest and greatest :D

Well.. in your case, you are not only playing with a beta distro, you are playing with what can be said as beta hardware (well face it.. AMD64 is not exactly a regular Athlon). I congratulate you for having the guts (and the money) to buy a Hammer... makes me really really envious. :mrgreen:

Do please give us the progress report of your mdk installation in AMD64 mode. I have a feeling that in a year or so, we are going to need your experience :)

Still getting the same error with the beta3 isos

I assume the beta 3's are actually a last minute ooops fix to the beta 2.

It just won't start the xfree server during install... dies there every time.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to switch my CP Radeon 9600 pro back to my ATI 9500pro. Maybe the 3rd party card has issues with the built in drivers??? I dunno. Whats the command to make it do a text only install??

- nevermind... having a braindead moment.

-now I have an error claiming I have no drive to install to. But I think thats because I have my hdd on the onboard promise controller which I set to onboard IDE mode instead of raid mode, but mandrake is trying to load the raid version of the driver SATA_PROMISE, I think I need to unload it and load the ATA version.. if there is one.

Been running XP pro on it for a week and its been rock solid... and man is it fast at folding :-)

Also have a Netware 6.5 install going on a seperate drive this weekend to see how that goes.

Seems that at least in regular IDE mode, the sata_promise module can't find my hard drive. It might be different if it was a serial ATA drive, but my supplier didn't have the one I had in stock so I have a regular wd 120JB ata100 drive hooked into the promise controller. I moved it onto the via controller and voila!!! I am installing as I type this (on another computer of course)

Only issue now is that my dvd-rw has nowhere to go since the promise controller won't see any cdrom devices ... I guess I may have to put it as a slave with my hard drive on the via controller for now till I figure this out.

Seems that at least in regular IDE mode, the sata_promise module can't find my hard drive. It might be different if it was a serial ATA drive, but my supplier didn't have the one I had in stock so I have a regular wd 120JB ata100 drive hooked into the promise controller. I moved it onto the via controller and voila!!! I am installing as I type this (on another computer of course)

Only issue now is that my dvd-rw has nowhere to go since the promise controller won't see any cdrom devices ... I guess I may have to put it as a slave with my hard drive on the via controller for now till I figure this out.

wait... now it stopped and went back to the partitioning portion claiming I don't have a root / hmmm.

Rebooting now goes back to the regular error I got before with not being able to load the radeon driver for x.

Tried text mode, got up to package selection and it does nothing there... blank page.

grrr... oh what fun. :-/