9.0 installation hangs during copying packages...

Guest amaarse

All modules are loaded except (indeed) i2c-i810 and i810-nrg, although most are listed as "not used". Does that matter?
No, a lot of mods that you know are used say unused. I think it has to do with registering with the kernel or pid's or something.

If you have the 815, you don't need i2c-i810 and i810-rng do you? I'll look at the source later and let you know, but that's probably why the kernel didn't load them...you don't need them. Hope it continues to help!

Guest amaarse

Apparently, I don't need those two, as they are not loaded...

You sure do help me a lot, and hopefully others with the same problem. Thanks!

A related question: where/how can I see what DMA mode the hard drives are running in now?

I am sorry to ask such a trivial question, but I am still fairly new to Linux and simply don't know where to search. (And I am afraid I will be new to Linux for the next couple of years! Why does evereything have to be so complicated? I could never have thought of loading these modules myself. I didn't even know they existed. In <sorry for cursing> Windows I just follow my instincts and get everything done... pfff. It really takes a lot of perseverance to get going)

In the kernel config "Configuration Help"

i2c-i810=is for the 810AA/AB/E and 815. It says the I2C busses/ chipsets are usually used for video devices.

i810-rng=i8x0 support. i8xx-based motherboards.

But if it won't load them, then it won't. ?

A related question: where/how can I see what DMA mode the hard drives are running in now?
Use hdparm. It's on the CD's. In a terminal type

su

<enter password>

urpmi hdparm

Then run as root

hdparm -I /dev/hdx (where x is the drive- usually a or b, /dev/hda)

look for a line

DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5

and note the * next to udma4. That's what my hda is using.

see man hdparm or hdparm --help for info.

but I am still fairly new to Linux and simply don't know where to search.
I first Search the boards, then google advanced, and usually have to search within the results about 2 or 3 times to find exactly what I'm looking for.

am afraid I will be new to Linux for the next couple of years!
LOL... I know the feeling. I've only used linux for 10 mths...(uh oh, now no one will listen to me). Once you get use to it and slowly learn to think like your box, you'll begin to rapidly advance and learn faster. But yes, I'm still a newbie, as a lot of us are. I read somewhere that you're pretty much a newbie for a good five years, on average.

Why does evereything have to be so complicated?
Believe me it's getting better very quickly. My first shot at linux was LM7.2 about 2 years ago, and I didn't have a clue what was going on, so I bailed, but mostly because half my hardware was not compatible. In short, I think partly because it's so much better, and because linux devel don't get paid big bucks to sit around and make our life easier, so it takes a while.

I could never have thought of loading these modules myself. I didn't even know they existed
I didn't either til I learned how to kernel compile in LM8.1.

Guest amaarse

Thanks again for the support!

With "I don't know where to search" I also meant where to look in the system. There seem to be hundreds of directories, containing thousands of configuration files, and each one seems to have its own syntax that I don't know... It feels like I have just been dropped in the middle of China and have to find my way on my own. It will take a while and a lot of effort to get over this feeling.

Luckily there are sites like this where I can ask a "Chinese interpreter" every now and then.

IMO, the best and fastest "find" type program is slocate, the database version of locate. I know this is still not exactly what you mean, but I just thought I point it out to ya.

Install with

urpmi slocate

then run

slocate -u /

and it will scan you sys and create a database, so that when you search for say

slocate gtkrc-kde

it gives the results instantly.

Oh, and try this! It probes and helps detects needed modules to monitor hardware, fan, temps, cpu, and the like, and might help you find others. I'm about to reboot now to see it it can read more than the win apps I've tried in the past.

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...6511&highlight=

Thanks! M()()ttS

[EDIT] Arg...no sensors found. I tinker with it later. :(

Guest cwbl1200

Hi, I have a few questions...

One is AMAARSE, are you running Mandrake Linux 9.0 on your computer currently and is it working? If yes, how did you get it to? It would be better if you can be more detailed.

Two, since I have the same problem as you did, I don't know if I should install MDK9.0 or not. Do you happen to know if the older MDK(Mandrake 8.2) works on AMD/Maxtor systems? [cause that's what I have unfortunately]

Thanks!

I know I'm not amaarse, but I just looked on the first page of the thread and found

After reading this, I figured: this could be an issue between the 9.0 installer and Maxtor harddisks. Let's try something else, virtually turn the disk into a less specific type of harddisk. So I went back into the BIOS, turned UDMA access OFF for this harddisk, and guess what:

installation of 2 GB of packages went without any problem!

You can also press F1 at the first install screen and type

linux ide=nodma

Did the above, and the others at

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...er=asc&start=15

not help? Or did you try them, and the link provided by birkarl?

Guest amaarse

I did what bvc, the moderator, suggested.

I didn't need to install with the boot parameter ide=nodma anymore, because installation already succeeded wit DMA set to off through the BIOS settings.

After that, I put the names of the needed modules (for the Intel 815 chipset!) in the /etc/modules file, switched DMA back on in the BIOS and all is working well now (except for some unrelated problems that are also tough...).

If you have the same problem, I guess you have to install with ide=nodma (is easier than changing stuff in the BIOS) and then make sure the drivers for YOUR chipset are loaded as described above.

Recognizing modern chipsets seems to be a weak point of this 9.0 distribution...

Good luck!

I have an AMD/Maxtor system with none of the problems described here. (except supermount, of course). Sometimes computers do things that are unanticipated and unexplainable.