Mozilla update Catch-22

Jiawen

I'm trying to update Mozilla via Mandrake Update. However, every time I try to update it, I get a Catch-22.

When I try to click on Mandrake in the Update list, it tells me that it needs libnspr and libnss, and asks if I want to install those, too. I click "yes," and start the update. A couple hours later, though (yes, I'm on a dialup), Update tells me that it couldn't install because Mozilla requires libnspr and libnss. Apparently it didn't try to install them. In fact, if I click on Mozilla and then look at the update list, libnspr and libnss aren't even selected.

Next, I tried installing libnspr and libnss alone. Update tells me that they require Mozilla, Mozilla mail, etc. and that they couldn't be opened and then cancels the update.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

this is what is known as dependency hell.

one option you can do, is if you can get your hands on the rpms by themselves via www.rpmfind.net (be sure to grab the mandrake rpms for 586)

you can move to the directory where they are in a terminal as root and do

rpm -Uvh *.rpm

hopefully, that will go through with no problems.

If it does not, look at the man page for rpm, there are other more risky switches:

rpm -Uvh --nodeps *.rpm

will not look for package dependancies when it upgrades.

rpm -Uvh --force *.rpm

will force the packages to install regardless of error messages.

I do the latter 2 occasionally with no repercussions, but your mileage may vary. So be careful and think it through before you resort to the latter 2.

I remember having exactly the same problem. I don't remember what I did to solve it but I recently installed 9.1 on another computer and it could update everything w/o a problem. I just used urpmi --update --auto-select (not practical for you; I'm on broadband)

Anyhow, did you try checking mozilla, libnspr and libnss manually - i.e. you would tell rpmdrake to install those things at once. The problem seems to be that rpmdrake fails to see the dependencies so does not automatically check all of them to be downloaded.

if you have Texstar in your urpmi data base, he has Moz1.4 in rpm format. it's really nice, 'cause he also has the Java plugin in that installs automatically & works right off the get go. also, he has a Flash plugin that integrates flawlessly. just do

urpmi mozilla1.4

it SHOULDN'T give you any depend troubles. at least it didn't with me.

Chris

if you have Texstar in your urpmi data base, he has Moz1.4 in rpm format.

1.5 has been released, Texstar will update soon.

James

Somehow, with texstar taking an extended break.. I really doubt that there will be a texstar version of Mozilla 1.5 unless someone take over from him.

if you have Texstar in your urpmi data base, he has Moz1.4 in rpm format.

1.5 has been released, Texstar will update soon.

James

Somehow, with texstar taking an extended break.. I really doubt that there will be a texstar version of Mozilla 1.5 unless someone take over from him.

oh, Mandrake will make it sooner or later.