Open Office 3.1.0 is Out!

demonseth17

Yes, it's out for more than one month.

It's the "enhanced" Go-OO version that went 3.1 (or 3.1.0.6, to be more exact) at June 2nd... The final version was the same as go-oo 3.1.0 RC7 which was out at May 29th (I think).

Edited by scarecrow

Does anyone know how the packages are handled if you install OOo from their downloads rather than from Mandriva's?

With Mandriva's rpms, you just need to install the packages you want, for example openoffice.org-math or openoffice.org-l10n-**. But from the OOo download link all I see is a single rpm, so is it just all or nothing? How do I add extra bits, are they extensions like Firefox's?

Also I noticed that 2009.1 has a package called openoffice.org-pdfimport which sounds useful, but I haven't got it in the 2009.0 repositories. Is this something that comes with 3.1.0 too or can it be added?

so is it just all or nothing?

Yes, that is my understanding. I recently installed 3.1 from the OOo website and have the following:

Base

Draw

Math

Printer Admin

Impress

Calc

Writer

At the beginning of the installation process, the gui listed these items and asked OK to install? Perhaps at this point I could have requested specific items? I am not sure.

Well I didn't get a gui when I installed, but I did get a whole bunch of rpms inside a tar.gz. If anyone's interested, yes you can choose which ones to install and yes math is in there too. I can't see an easy way to add localization packages but I can live without for a while.

What I did to upgrade: firstly uninstall openoffice (urpme openoffice.org-base)

Then unpack the tar (tar xvf OOo_3.1.0.....tar.gz)

Then go into the RPMs directory as root, and install all the rpms there (urpmi *.rpm)

Then go into the desktop-integration directory and install the mandriva rpm (urpmi openoffice.org3.1-mandriva*.rpm)

Then go through the "registration wizard" and say I don't want to register.

It looks like everything is working, and it says 3.1.0 and can still open my old documents, so that's good! :thumbs: But it does look really clunky, tiny fonts and dark grey gui, kind of like a style is missing or something. I used to have a package called "openoffice.org-style-crystal-3.0-1.1mdv2009.0" so maybe that made it look nice. I guess 3.1 should come out with Mandriva 2009 Autumn 2010 though, so shouldn't be too long.

I just hope the annoying 3.0.1 bugs have been fixed! Fingers crossed!

@ Neddie: If you are using Openoffice under KDE and it's looking fugly, you can start it like

OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome soffice

(it doesn't matter if you don't have Gnome installed!).

The old KDE3/QT mode has been removed.

Or, if you don't like typing many things, then include

export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome

to your /etc/rc.local (this makes it apply for all users), or to your .bashrc, or to your DE startup script, or to any convenient startup script.

You may have a couple of other useful tips at our wiki (all of them aren't Arch-specific):

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openoffice

Edited by scarecrow

Hey, thanks, scarecrow! That does indeed make it look much better! :thumbs:

Now is it just my imagination or does 3.1 run at about a tenth of the speed of earlier versions? I've got a 6-page document and it's locking up the machine whenever it scrolls or autosaves or practically does anything! Painful! And the file is only 300k...

I cannot tell, as I have switched to the go-openoffice clone. But since the base for both is the same, then no, it is not slower for me than OOo 2.4.X

Eating more RAM yes indeed, but not slower overall.

@ Neddie (again) : If your GTK apps aren't looking good, and you have neither Gnome, or XFCE4 installed, then the simplest way to tune their appearance is the "lxapperance" application. It's part of the LXDE desktop, but it it's not dependent to any LXDE components.

Edited by scarecrow

If your GTK apps aren't looking good, and you have neither Gnome, or XFCE4 installed, then the simplest way to tune their appearance is the "lxapperance" application
I do have Gnome installed, but I'm not sure that helps. For example, when I'm logged into Gnome, the settings say don't make silly bleepy noises and it doesn't. But when I'm running KDE3, those Gtk apps do bleep and bing and whoop. So maybe I'll have a look at that lxappearance thing...

On OOo being slow, I think it's something to with previewing graphics, particularly eps graphics (which I use when I export from Inkscape). Apparently it's a known bug, I'm not sure whether it's got worse or not.