Fonts and Mandrake

Ixthusdan

Tonight I decided to try out a feature in mcc that I have looked at but never touched. I used the windows font import feature to bring in all the fonts I have in my windex partition. In the several years of using linux, I have never imported fonts. Mandrake did all the work without a problem. I did have to close the font section and then re-open it before I could see all the fonts that were now available in linux. Every font was there. I then went to my kde control center and switched to arial.

My linux looks beautiful!! But what if I was a true purist and had no windex partition from which to take these fonts? Why in the world is it so difficult for linux to have decent fonts? (OK, almost a rant! :lol:) So, here is my question, and the purpose for this thread. What does a user do to have fonts this good without grabbing them from a windex partition?

Is there a list of fonts contained in the package? I have fonts from drawing programs that I use in sign making. Will mcc import a font not installed on a windex partition?

Tonight I decided to try out a feature in mcc that I have looked at but never touched. I used the windows font import feature to bring in all the fonts I have in my windex partition. In the several years of using linux, I have never imported fonts. Mandrake did all the work without a problem. I did have to close the font section and then re-open it before I could see all the fonts that were now available in linux. Every font was there. I then went to my kde control center and switched to arial.

My linux looks beautiful!! But what if I was a true purist and had no windex partition from which to take these fonts? Why in the world is it so difficult for linux to have decent fonts? (OK, almost a rant! :lol:) So, here is my question, and the purpose for this thread. What does a user do to have fonts this good without grabbing them from a windex partition?

Find someone with a Windows partition, copy the fonts folder onto a CD and then use the Mandrake drakfont tool or if you don't have access to it or don't have root access the KDE font installer. Of course that does still require you to have access to a Windows partition somewhere, though not necessarily on your machine...I think the problem with the fonts being included with Mandrake are some copyright issues.

What does a user do to have fonts this good without grabbing them from a windex partition?

I have fonts from drawing programs that I use in sign making. Will mcc import a font not installed on a windex partition?

Burn to CD, then/or copy the fonts to your /home/user linux partition, fonts is a good folder name. :D

Hint: keep the font folder a sane size, adding 100 fonts or more at a time caused my installer to crash, so I ran it a second time and it finished properly installing the extra fonts. Now I only add like 30 fonts at a time.

No I don't think MCC will import those, but you can install them anyways, just copy the fonts you want to a font folder in your /home/user directory first.

KDE includes its own font installer, but it's difficult to find, well in 9.1 anyways.

For some reason it's not conveniently located anywhere, but it can be started from the command line.

Press 'Alt+F2' to get a mini-command line

In the text field, enter:

kdesu kcmshell kcmfontinst

And press 'Run' to run the font installer as the 'root' user. Enter the root password and press 'OK'

And shazam, there's the KDE Font Installer. :wink:

The first time the program is run, two settings need to be made.

If you want the installed fonts to be available to OpenOffice or StarOffice, switch to the 'Settings' panel'.

Enable the checkbox that says 'AFMs' 'Generate with'. AFM stands for Adobe Font Metrics, which is a file that contains detailed information about Postscript fonts. OpenOffice and StarOffice <=5.2 both require AFM files for all Postscript fonts.

If you don't use either of those two programs, there's no need to bother with this setting.

Switch back to the 'Fonts' panel.

To add the 'fonts' folder located in your home directory, press the 'Add' button underneath the left window.

Navigate into the 'font' folder in your home directory.

Click on the font you want to add, and see the preview in the left pain. If you get the broken icon in the preview pane, you have a broken or corrupt font, don't select it. After you know which ones you want to add, hold down the control key and click on them, then click on 'OK'.

Look for the new ones that shown up in the font list, hilite one then click on apply, it will update the whole list. Then you can add more fonts from a different folder. :D

The fonts are now completely installed and available to the entire system.

The Font Installer can also be used to remove or enable - disable fonts from the system.

Sorry about being so verbose Ixthusdan, but I just figured there may be a newbie or two that could use it. :)