Ok, back to Mandrake...

I have now tried everything to get my X in Gentoo working. Yes. Everything. Even emerging up my whole system on my dial-up :roll:

I give up. God, I can't wait to be back in Mandrake...

Debian is the next lady for a shave.

I'll be honest, I enjoyed part of my time with Gentoo, but without X it is all useless. The freezes broke my back and portage is great, but not on a dial-up...

EDIT: Maybe I should see what Redhat has to offer lately? Thoughts? Anyone tried apt-get in Redhat?

Anyone tried apt-get in Redhat?

apt-get in Redhat works great, its better than Mandrakes urpmi.

BTW, Mdk do there own version of apt, last time i looked it was in cooker, maybe cooker contrib.

Thanks anon! BTW: can you point me to some good documentation or an official website for the project? I've been googling but I can't find a good user guide... (for apt-get for Redhat) - I found rpm-get, but that seems to be a different project.

Im running RH with apt-synaptic and I find it SWEET!!!!!!!!

Just go to freshrpms.net and download apt rpm and syanptic rpm. Install apt first then synaptic. When done look under system tools or settings (not sure exactyly and I am at work) find synaptic and drag to desktop. Double click, update like, update dist. and then proceed. All done and installed.

FX

# apt-get a life
Hmmm...shouldn't that be

emerge red-hat

? :mystilol: :cheeky:

Yes... yes it should :mystilol:

Well, I decided yesterday that it would be silly to install 9.1 on my machine with 9,2 just around the corner, so I got RH9 cds and installed it and so far I think it is pretty cool.

I just hate what they've done to Gnome :cry: - I am going to get rid of it completely and re-install using original Gnome packages :wink: