KDE 3.1 rc2

Ixthusdan

I noticed that KDE has a second release candidate. Has anyone tried it? The last time I played with kde 3.1, there were just too many programs not yet functioning, like the control center. But it was the first beta. Anyone played with it?

• 3 weeks later...

If anybody cares, I just tried to install KDE3.1RC3 in my system. It failed to boot into x. Since I like graphics, I did not like this aspect of 3.1. After restoring my box back to 3.06, I think I found the problem. Although urpmi did not state it, I think that the lisa rpm should be upgraded off of cooker, along with the other KDE 3.1 files. At any rate, when I want to beak my box again, I'll try it. It is the first time I have noticed urpmi not giving all the info needed. (This is so much fun, I can hardly contain myself!)

Hehehe.. welcome to the edge..

Back during the 8.0 era of mandrake, I did install a lot of cooker rpms.. Back then I have multiple computers in my apt and a cablemodem with pretty much unlimited bandwidth. I just love installing new things even though it will break the system in the end.. but what do I care.. reinstalling from scratch took only 2-3 hours at most :)

Now with only one computer and a 384 kbps (not even actually, but well.. you get the idea).. I am kinda iffy of experimenting wildly like that.. Maybe if I have a second computer I would do the cooker experiment again, but until then.. only pure mandrake 9.0 with texstar, plf, and contribs only.. no more cooker.. :)

AAArrrggghhh!!!! What I kept forgetting was the upgrade to qt!!. Besides the kde stuff, you need lisa, arts, and qt upgrades in order for kde to work. KDE 3.1 seems faster (really) than 3.05, and the fonts look better without any playtime. But, keramik had to be uninstalled because it is now included in kdeartwork, and the kicker is no longer translucent like before. Translucent menus look great.