mandrake 9.1 and internet woes

Guest chris26

Guest chris26

Hello everyone,

Maybe someone can help me out?

I just installed Mandrake 9.1. It went in fine, without a hitch except that I had to install it in text mode or it would hang. No big deal there though.

The problem I DO have however, is that it will not connect to the internet for me. I had mandrake 8.2 connect with the same modem so I know its not the modem. Furthermore I connect to the net everday in Windows with it.

I used mandrake control center to set up an adsl connection. After I finished the setup I told it to connect to the internet. Information begins to be sent out, and the lights on the modem flicker. However, through the whole process nothing is received back in. Finally, I get the message that there is a conncetion failure.

I tried using different drivers but all the same trouble.

Please tell me what information you need from me to analyse this problem and Ill post it here.

Thanks.

To quote myself from another thread:

If you have enabled your Shorewall firewall (as you should), that may be the problem. You have to download sample files from their website www.shorewall.net, and tweak them before it works properly. 

First, disable the firewall temporarily via MCC/Security/Firewall to see if the modem works then.

....you mean shorewall is bunk w/o patching?

I wouldn't go that far. :shock:

There are several threads outlining the problem of setting up Shorewall via MCC. A number of posters, including me, found the only setting which would allow internet access was NO firewall.

It was probably an exaggeration to say you have to download the sample files. The Shorewall site does recommend it, but I'm sure it's possible to tweak the Mandrake config files, if you know what you're doing.

I decided to use iptables itself (rather than a front-end), as I was already familiar with it.

I'll try to be more precise in future... :)

Guest chris26

Hello all,

Ok, Im running an Adsl modem that NTT provides. (Japanese)

I have not turned on shorewall, as I cannot even connect to the net.

The modem is not a usb modem, it simply plugs into the ethernet card, the phone jack, and then into a power jack.

I dont remember setting up the modem and installing drivers for it in Mandrake 8.2. Actually, there is a driver disk, but that just contains the rp-ppoe (might have spelled that wrong) files, but Mandrake 9.1 already has those files I think.

As a matter of fact, mandrake control center's network config tool never even asked me about my modem, it just wanted to know what kind of connection I have, which ethernet card to use, and my isp's dns name and numbers.

Guest chris26

Hi all,

Reading over the last parts about the shorewall firewall...

That thing isnt on by default is it?

Later on, Im going to post some config files for you all to look at and give me a hand getting this thing to work right.

Thanks for all the help so far.

As a matter of fact, mandrake control center's network config tool never even asked me about my modem, it just wanted to know what kind of connection I have, which ethernet card to use, and my isp's dns name and numbers.

If the ADSL modem is connected to eth, no need for any special driver.

There could be 2 kind of problem:

- connection problem: it doen't conect at all,

- routing problem: the modem connect but the names are not resolved.

It seems your problem is the first one.

- Run the DrakConect wizard expert mode,

- If you have an other eth card or a RTC modem, check only the eth where the modem is connected,

- uncheck hotplug or zeroconf, try with DHCP on,

- try with Start Internet at boot and see the messages when the pc boots (boot linux-nonfb)

- see the messages at the end of /var/log/messages

hope this help

roland

Guest chris26

Hello all.

Well, I fixed the connection part of my problem.

Here is what I did...

I used the command line to do an adsl-setup.

I found that there were some syntax errors in ppoe.conf. It seems that Mandrake sets this file up as default to insert "(using xxx driver)" after the ETH=xxx line. That bit in the () should not be there. I erased it.

Then I ran adsl-start and it was connect faster than I could even take a second breath.

My new questions is:

Will I have to do this from the command line each time, or is there a faster, graphical way to connect to the net without using the control center to do it??

Thanks for the help so far guys.