Please help with a few hardware configs.

Guest klinger2004

Guest klinger2004

Hi! I have a few questions about some hardware that is installed or unknown in my system...

First, my printer - Canon BJC6000 - it was detected, installed, and runs fine, but it is really slow at printing. I dual boot with another OS (wont mention names :shock: ) and when I print from within there, it flys. Should I change a driver or setting to get better performance? It seems like when I print text, it is printing a high res photo or something, it seems to make about 5 passes for a line of text (and it's really dark too!).

Next - I have a few "unknown" devices in my MCC. The first one is a special pro audio multitrack i/o soundcard that I use (with the nameless OS). Is there a way to "disable" it, as I will not be using it with 9.1, but need it in my (namesless) OS.

The second unknown device is my onboard raid. It is a HPT 372. MCC lists it under unknown but also describes it as HPT 366. At the moment, I don't have anything attached to it, and when I do (swap hdds) they are used as extra ide ports anyway, not a raid config. If there is not a way to get MD 9.1 to correctly configure this, then again I would like to possible "disable" it.

Thanks everyone!

Eric

**I think I will with the title of "Most frequently askING questions."

Have you tried playing with the settings for your printer? My C42U changes speed dramatically as I vary the quality settings, paper type, etc.... If your using KDE apps & KDE then when you get the printer dialog box up click the properties button.

I also have on-board high point raid controller, not sure which one. I have always used it as extra IDE controllers rather than RAID and never had any problems. Mandrake finds all the hard drives attached to it and just works without my tinkering. I still have the unknown device listed but my drives work fine.

If you don't need the sound card in Linux can't you just ignore it or am I missing something? If you have another sound card which you want to use with Linux then you can manually configure ALSA to use one card not the other.

http://www.alsa-project.org/

Guest klinger2004

Can I ignoe it if I don't need it? Sure, it doesn't really bother me, I just thought that maybe Linux would always want to search for it at startup or use resources that it doesn't need to etc.

Thanks for the info about the raid and printer. I think I played around with the printer settings before, but I will check it out in more detail.

Thanks - Eric

Guest klinger2004

Thanks for the reply - I currently have 2 sound cards in my system, it's only the one that I wish to disable, I want to keep the onboard sound card for cd players or whatever. The other is a PCI but I absolutely need it in my other OS that I dual boot to. In the other OS, I have the PCI sound active and the onboard disabled, now I hope I can do the opposite in Linux.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Much!

Just an addition for the Printer, you can change through MCC > Hardware> PrinterDrake then doubleclicking on the highlighted localprinter, the printer options. I have a different printer, though its a canon (bjc-265sp). The items i changed were the resolution, the printout quality and the color mode. These were set to quality settings by default, you can try toning it down, it should print out faster.

For the soundcard, the built in sound chip is disabled through BIOS and by shorting a jumper in the motherboard in order not to have i/o problems with the soundcard. since its in the BIOS, you may have to enable the built in sound chip then takeout the soundcard for you to use in in linux, but then for you to use it in the other OS , you have to do it the other way around again, which would be impractical.

Just a thought, have you checked Aumix or Kmix in Multimedia >Sound >Aumix? Check if the volume, etc are set to zero. The drivers might already be set but the volume is at zero so you are not getting any sound output.

Guest klinger2004

I'm getting sound out of my onboard chip fine. I just didn't know if leaving the pci card in there as "unknown" was ok or not. In XP, I disable the onboard through Device Manager and have the drivers installed for my PCI card. I wanted to do the opposite now in my Linux. Is it ok to just leave it as unknown?

Thanks for the printer tips - I will check it out. I temporarily relieved some of it by using X Printing Panel instead of the default that KWrite was using.

Thanks

hmmm, good thing you didnt have problems in xp, normally the onboard is disabled thru bios. so since it wasnt disabled in bios, the onboard became the "priority" for the audio device in linux... . personally , i think its ok to leave the pci card as unknown.