dropping network connection

oyama26

Just upgraded my 9.1 setup to the latest cooker build. A few minor oddities aside, everything seems to be working great. The one thing I can't figure out, however, is why I keep falling off the network. I've got a linksys tulip card connected to a SpeedStream dsl modem / router. There is also an old Win98 machine on the network. My internet connection works fine, but drops every once in a while for no apparent reason. All I have to do is go into the Control Center and restart it, but it is a hassle and quite inconvenient. When this happens, my Samba connection to the win98 machine (which only works intermittently anyway) drops too. Any idea what's going on?

in my experience smbd & nmbd either are running and functioning to the best of their config file or not at all. the reason I say this is that perhaps your network connectivity is not just about your internet connection. Without any further information to go on, perhaps your NIC is flaky. are there any patterns you can see as to when or why it happens? i.e. every 4 hours or so, or whenever you put a heavy load on the network. if not, i would try to use another network card if you have access to one.

Are you getting your IP from your DSL router?

I expect it gives out leases and times them out after a while

try as root (in a console)

ifconfig (next time it happens)

Then if it shows no ip for eth0

ifconfig eth0 up

post what it says

Your windows machine might have an auto-reestablish thing when this happens

Of course once you have no NW you have no samba connection ???

The machine that I'm running Mandrake on dual-boots Win98 and Mandrake, and never has any network problems under Win98. The problem with the network connection didn't start until I upgraded to the cooker build, so I doubt the NIC is the problem. Since then, I've upgraded to 9.2rc2 and the problem is still there. There seems to be no pattern to it either. It can stay on the network for 12 hours or 12 seconds, it just depends. My IP addresses are given out from the router, and I've checked to make sure that both of my machines are not sharing an IP address. Also, the IP for my Mandrake machine is on an infinite lease. When the problem occurs, I go into the Control Center and it says that the network card is up and has an IP address, but is not connected. As far as Samba goes, I understand that I lose Samba when I go off the network, but after reconnecting and restarting SMB, it still won't reestablish a connection with the win98 machine. This is really strange, and it seems as though everything should be working properly.

• 5 weeks later...

You may come to the point where you have to take drastic measures. Isolating the problems past all other variables. Despite the fact that it seems no hardware should be the problem, I cannot tell you how many times I started out with that idea only to be proven wrong later. Anyway, perhaps starting off with a crossover cable and having the two machines "talk directly" ensuring that both have static ip addresses in the same subnet.

Then, if you still find problems you get on both boxes and take them both to minimal necessity operating daemons/processes. Not that this is directly relevant, but last night I banged my head against the wall for some time why my Samba on my server wouldn't work properly when the same version from the same rpm source worked fine on my workstation running the same version of Linux. Long story short was that I had decided to install prelude when rebuilding the server recently. It's default config was to blame. I have yet to figure out the software to see why and make it work for me, but when I stopped it from running on the machine, Samba was back to "normal." This is why I say you may have to work it down to minimal operating necessity in your troubleshooting. Effective troubleshooting is sometimes extremely taxing and tedious, but is ultimately based on one principal. Eliminate variables.

Hope this helps man. I have been down this road more times than I care to count. Spent more hours than I would ever want to know... :screwy: