Problem Configuring X

Guest skytrain

Guest skytrain

Two error messages pop up when trying a Mandrake install:

1. You selected an unusable depth.

This comes up at the end when Configure X starts. I have used automatic install and I think it chose the wrong monitor. Second time, I selected the right one, same result. Third time, I tried Generic, then just SVGA...same thing. Then I tried another install, using the Custom selection.

2. Can't call method "set_active".

This comes up just after it tries to look for the Video Card, I think, as it was looking for PCI devices.

Any help would be appreciated. I can get into Linux, but no startx to the graphical interface.

Guest skytrain

SiS 630 / 730 using SiS 630 driver

It is built into the motherboard, an Elite ECS K7SEM

Duron 1.3 with 256 RAM, 30 GIG Maxtor HDD,

Realtek 8139 NIC (did not try to install this on Mandrake),

with Windows 98SE dual booted, GRUB took over Boot Magic during install

I can get into command line Linux, I think, but Xconfigurator won't work because I think that it never did Configure X. I have also tried with another monitor that is on the list for install, but the same thing happened again.

Login at the command line and run:

$ su

<enter root password>

# XFdrake

That will bring up the graphics configuration program in framebuffer mode w/o mouse support. Navigate with your keyboard and redo your graphics configuration. Run the "test" option when your done and see if it works. If not, rinse, repeat.

Guest skytrain

Thanks for your suggestion. It worked and now I can get into both Gnome and KDE.

My next task is to configure my modem...it has Linux drivers on the CD that came with it. Unfortunately, during the installation, it did not recognize it.

Is there a way to set it up before you boot into KDE? Just like the previous solution? When I try to configure within KDE, nothing happens.

The same thing happened with my regular CD-ROM. But my CD-RW was recognized on install.

Guest skytrain

It is a PC Tel HSF 2868 MicroModem.

Thanks for the information. The CD is working now. Apparently it does not show up on the configuration, but when I play a music CD, it works, along with the sound card. There is a third CD that shows up as "Unknown" on SCSI, that might be some other device that was misread, as I have no SCSI devices installed.

Guest skytrain

Is there a way to keep StarOffice permanently installed under Mandrake? The first install worked fine, but after turning my computer off, it disappeared when I re-booted and came back into KDE.

Is there a best directory to put it when you first install it so it doesn't disappear on subsequent re-boots? Does it matter whether it is installed under KDE or Gnome?

Does it have anything to do with not having Java Runtime installed? I thought you could still use StarOffice without it installed and you could put it in later.

Other programs like AbiWord stay installed and work OK.

I'm guessing that you installed Star Office as a regular user, which means it installed in you user files. If you install it as root, then every user can have it. Usually these programs have a root installation, and then each user has a setup to perform in order to get it going for that user. It's like a network install. I don't use Star Office, so I'm only guessing that that is what happened.

Guest skytrain

You are correct. The first time it installed by default under my own user directory. The second time it went into root, but it still vanished on rebooting. I am thinking that I should have installed the networked version, as I had used the stand alone version, thinking that it was larger and would have all the functions in one program.

Thanks.

I doubt is dissapeared, more likely the menu or icons vanished.

It might sound the same but it isn't !

If you look you should have all the files.

You can probably CD to the directory and ruin ./soffice.

If this is the case then you just need to edit the path and put a link in the menu

Guest skytrain

Thanks everyone for your help. I am learning a lot very quickly, and have now found some of the answers to installing StarOffice through your messages and searching the many Linux sites.

When I installed Mandrake, I used its install program to set the partition for Linux. After everything installed in a dual boot with Win 98 SE, I went back and found that Partition Magic 6.0 no longer recognizes the Linux partition and would not even open up. I uninstalled it just in case it would interfere with something, as now the dual boot works fine.

Should I now just use the tools within Linux to resize and adjust the partitions? Any suggestions?

I have successfully done partition adjustments, and I have reaped disaster as well. Always backup before doing any partition work. You will find that some people have used the mandrake tools well, and others have had problems. There are several excellent threads here about this, so do a search. :wink: