AcerModem 56 Surf II (AME-ME00) not detected

Guest tiga

Hi There :wink:

I searched the content and googled but i didn´t find anything

specifically.

A friend (new to Linux) installed Mandy 9.1 on his Box.

He uses a AcerModem 56 Surf II (AME-ME00) which was

not detected on MDK9.1. It´s connected to the Box via

serial cabel on com1 or 2.

I´m personal using DSL on a router so my knowledge ends right

here.

Does anyone of you guys got an idea how to help MDK to detect

the Modem ?

Thank you for your help :D

Greetings : Tiga ... from f*****g cold Germany

In all probability, your friend's external modem is not a winmodem (though a lot of USB modems are) so it should be ok in linux. I have a Dlink56K external modem, the data below is from my system, i hope some info will be of use.

--try to run kppp. It should be in Networking > Remote access > kppp

If its not there, time for the find command. in my system its in /usr/share/apps/kppp and /usr/bin/kppp.

--Click "setup", then "new", click "dialog setup", fill in the necessary info. For my system,i fill in the connection name, number, PAP/CHAP authentication, unselect save password, Dynamic IP, Default gateway, Automatic dns.

--it goes back to kppp configuration, in the Device Tab, i selected the following:

Modem device: /dev/ttySO (my modem is in COM1, select /dev/ttyS1 if its in COM2)

Flow control: Hardware [CRTSCTS]

Line Termination: CR

Connection speed: 115200

--pressing ok should send you to the main kppp menu. i key in the LoginID and Password and click "connect". it should dial the isp and connect to the net.

The reason i recommend that you try kppp first because this happened to me using MCC.

1. Went to MCC >Network & Internet >Drakconnect ; it show "Internet access Type :modem", Interface is blank, "Status : Not connected".

2. Click "Wizard", auto detection, clicked "Next". The screen stated "Please wait Detecting Devices". During this procedure, i make sure to glance at the modem and verify DTR, RD and TD leds blinks. This ensures the system can see my modem.

3."Normal normal connection - detected on port ttySO" should be automatically ticked. clicked next.

4. Filled in the necessary info (Connection name, phone number, etc), next

5. Selected "Yes" when asked to connect to the internet.

6. "/etc/resolv.conf is missing or can't be read!" appears. :shock:

During the installation process, i always do step 1 to 4 and always "no" when asked to connect to the internet. i just setup the net connection using kppp later. The good part with MCC procedure is that i'm sure the system can see my modem.

i hope some of the above info would be of help. :)