perl

kilimanjaro

One qwik post before I go to bed (8 am class)

I am using dial up, and overnet is set at the port suggested 6443 I think, but I have a new problem. My firewall no longer allows any contact with the outside world. I have to disable it to come here. Is there a way to reset it maybe ? I tried changing the protocol and it still didn't allow any connection.

At one time I had my update sources set at plf and texstar and for some very important reason, which I don't remember any more, I took them off, and I don't remember how I got them on in the first place.

anyways, I'm off to bed almosr midnight here.

Thank you very much for your help scoopy

YW,

Check for an entry in your menu --> Configuration --> Packaging --> Software Sources Manager.

This opens a window (for me in KDE) that shows my sources I have configured. In my previous example this is where I deselected plf and tex to see the exact message I would get when trying to install one of their rpms. This is where I go back to and select them again, so my system sees those rpms at their site.

I would check out our security forum for answers on guarddog.

BTW: I have been trying to update gimp, version 1.2.3 to latest stable version 1.2.5. I have tried several rpms from various sources and they all come back saying, "Perl (file::Slurp) is needed." I decided to stick with the 1.2.3 version till MDK 9.2 goes final. I think this Perl stuff is one of the upgrades they have been working on and we are caught inbetween versions.

I seen you have an open thread on guarddog and ports in our security forum. I hope someone will be able to solve this port problem there.

No, haven't been to www.cpan.org yet, I decided to wait until the new perl goes final or I get 9.2 final installed with whatever version they use. I gave up on that perl stuff for now after nearly hosing my system with cooker perl stuff... time to play it safe for a while.

Hello scoopy

When 9.2 come out will I be able to just upgrade without a new installation?

I have tried using overnet, but once again I am having problems. I went to the web site and went throuth thier FAQ and it wasn't any help.

Overnet will connect fine and I will search for a file. Once I find one it seems to take awhile to start downloading, but as soon as it does it sucks up 100% of my processor and 756mb out of 784mb of memory, and then the gui disconects from the core. The core doesn't shut off I have to use gnome system monitoer to shut it down, which frees up my processor, but I have to totally shut down my computer to free up the memory. I am hoping that this is not the way it is supposed to work.

No, it should not be sucking up all your resources. Maybe its a network/firewall setting or maybe its setting with overnet (although there really isn't much to mess up in there) I really don't know.

Seeing some of your problems you've been having and guessing you may have a few botched up installs during your learning phase with Linux, I would suggest starting fresh with a clean install with 9.2. Things always seem to work much better with every clean install... I've had my share during my first two years.

I give you credit tho for your persistance and sticking it out. You'll be a guru in no time :lol:

I had some one help me, a guy named Martin for Raintree.org, with my first install. I need my computer for school, so I don't really want to do now. Maybe during the break. Isn't there a way that you can save the settings (which packages you installed) and reload them when you do a new install ?

I am sure there is a way, but I guess the easiest way SHOULD be the upgrade option. But lots of people have had major problems with upgrading from one version to the next. Lots have also had success. The question is will 9.2's upgrade feature work or not. We will have to wait and see.