Never Winter Nights Toolset?

NymDeVir

NWN is my favorite game but I will not use it on linux until the toolset works, but my question is does it?

If I use a windows install with winex3.1 will I be able to use the toolset and how do I get a windows install?

I have used the linux installer but it doesn't install the toolset and I have copied the toolset from a windows machine and put it in my NWN directory (of a linux install), but the toolset won't run with winex3.1 that way either. Do I have to have a windows istall to run the toolset with winex3.1?

The Linux native works great for NWN, I think you are shooting yourself in the foot by not playing natively in Linux. It works better on the same hardware. This is what I have found for myself first hand.

As for the tools, the tools will never be ported. BioWare has said as much. If you want to build NWN "dungeons", then you must use the win tools. There is a custom version of wine that will run them at least somewhat stable. However, it is my understanding that it's a biotch to install.

I can only hope when the Borland C++ BuilderX comes out for Linux, it will really support native wxWindows - which works pretty good on Audacity, Bittorrent GUI client and a few other apps. In that case, a native toolset might have a better chance to come out. It is to my knowledge that Kylix 3 still made use of WINE but in a obscure way.

a linux install is an install I did with an installer from a webpage to make a native linux version it doesn't include stuff from NWN that can't be used by linux such as the Toolset.

My question is to get the Toolset working (I have winex3.1 which someone told my will work) I have tried copying the toolset from a windows install but it still doesnt' work. Do I have to actually use a windows install to get it to work with winex3.1?

NWN is actually the only game I use. If it doesn't work with linux then I'm going back to windows.

Use Ravage's installer to install NWN to Linux.

That's a Linux native client/server by the way.

His installer for the expansion pack also works well.

You may have to install to the user account you use, as the NWN client isn't well known for working as a shared executable. It will work if installed within the user's /home directory though.

Other problems with it are generally related to OpenGL problems and OpenAL problems. Those can be solved by posting the nature of your problem, and waiting for users to help you.

For the toolset, you have to use a tweaked version of wine. WineX won't work. Niether will any other versions of wine that fail to have the specific modifications necessary to get the toolset to run. The toolset WILL run (others have gotten it to run), but it won't run as a Linux native (yet... give BioWare time, they may come through for us).

The following tutorial will help you set up both the client AND toolsets in wine (although you really only need the toolsets, since the client has a Linux native):

http://www.republika.pl/nwnlinux/nwnwine-HOWTO.html

Here's another:

http://sim.lme.usp.br/~drudi/nwnwine/

You can set up your system as a duel boot and simply move the finished dungeon files you've made over to the Linux partition. I'd advise having your Win partitions in FAT32 format rather than NTFS, since NTFS support in Linux is still spotty.

Really though, I think you'll find that the Linux native runs faster and smoother than the Windoze counterpart, even with the over-head that KDE, for example, requires.

I won't duel boot, but you're right it runs faster in linux except for the mouse it moves slower.  I have another question at the bottom right of my screen sometimes a "rectangular thing" appears does this happen on anyone elses? What is it?

Hmmm,... can't hazard a guess. I would assume its some OpenGL artifact from a driver that's not current, maybe!?!?!?! Of, course I could be wrong.

• 3 months later...
I won't duel boot, but you're right it runs faster in linux except for the mouse it moves slower.  I have another question at the bottom right of my screen sometimes a "rectangular thing" appears does this happen on anyone elses? What is it?

I also had that rectangle, but it vanished when I changed my resolution (from 800x600 to 1024x768) seems to be an Nvidia glitch.

The Tools won't work in Linux, unless you manage to tweak WineX properly... the game is not supported at all by transgaming, because it runs natively - so don't expect too much from WineX.

We can only hope that, as open source solutions are developed, Bioware will upgrade the Linux port to include all the features soon... I want movies!

Why not look at vmware or vim or other possible solutions before using Windows?