binaries

Michel

Hi,

I thought that all program-binaries..the ones you want to use on tghe commandline...for example..mozilla had to be in /usr/bin(or /usr/local/bin) or /bin (or for root) /sbin

So that you only have to type mozilla on the commandline in stead of <wherever you installed mozilla>/mozilla

I have installed openoffice 1.1 from their own installer. I did a network-setup. I have teh file soffice (to start teh "general" openoffice) in a directory in my homefolder. When i just type "soffice" on the commnadline (only for my personal account..since I only did a network-install for me only :)), it appears also as a possible command liek thge things in /usr/bin, but it isn't in /usr/bin and when I type it as root it doesn't appear, so it has to with my own account.

So is there a list of duirectories taht has to be scanned for binaries or how does it come it appears as a commmand like the ones in /usr/bin???

thanks

I'm not in Linux right now, so I can't be specific, but it has to do with the environment variable $PATH that is set when you log in. I think that $PATH includes your ~ (home) directory for non-root users, but for root, it doesn't. You can add it to your path in /etc/profile, I think. Do a search here for 'export PATH' and you should find more detailed help.

But it isn't installed in the PATh of root for a reason.

Nothing should actually be in there you need to be root for... It should be in sbin. or perhaps /usr/sbin

Anyway. I prefer just making a link to /usr/sbin for firebird, OO etc.

Just my 2c

In my opinion you shouldn't really be running programs such as open office as root, root should really only be used for sys admin tasks that require you to be root.

Anyway, to see your path

echo $PATH

you will see this is different for root than for mortals, if you switch to root using su -