Getting the KPPP dialer set-up with Mandrake?

Guest dolphans1

Guest dolphans1

Hey Guys I just set up Mandrake on my PC as a triple boot system, yes, the best of the worlds...heheheh.... I am a little familiar with Thiz-Linux, but not mandrake, how do I open up the xterm with mandrake to set-up my dialing properties to get hooked onto the Internet?

Is KPPP the best available way?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks....

d-1

open xterm and run

kppp

should be in the menu though...both kde and gnome. If not it's probably not installed. The pkg is

kdenetwork-kppp

Best? Easiest for sure and surely best if you use kde and need a gui. Run gnome and don't want to start kdelibs? Use the modemlights applet with wvdial, which you'll have to config. Then use wvdial in the modemlights applet to connect and killall wvdial to disconnect.

I am using manfrake 9.1 with fluxbox and the kppp is under network and then remote access. There are some really interesting things that can happen when you are trying to set up kppp. If you are having problems let me know I went through most of them. Most of the problems seem to resovle around not being able to get 8 bit clean ( what ever that means) and you have to customize the dialing arguments.

Hey,

the easiest way for me is to run it from Gkrellm.

You got to configure wvdial with wvdialconf and the manually fix the pertinating files, /etc/resolv.conf and check the files at /etc/ppp/

To make Gkrellm dial, just go to Configuration, under Built in, the Net section, enable the timer button and then set the start to wvdial and the stop to killall wvdial this way, when you click, dials, and when you click it again, hangs.

If the explanation is to bad, PM and i will make it better... :)

open xterm and run

kppp

should be in the menu though...both kde and gnome. If not it's probably not installed. The pkg is

kdenetwork-kppp

Best? Easiest for sure and surely best if you use kde and need a gui. Run gnome and don't want to start kdelibs? Use the modemlights applet with wvdial, which you'll have to config. Then use wvdial in the modemlights applet to connect and killall wvdial to disconnect.

I just did a fresh re-install, and it's NOT in the menu by default. You have two ways to put it in the menu.

1. Add it explicitly. Right click on the k-menu and select menu editor.

2. same place, but change the menu type to 'all programs' Then everything that was put in by the installer will have alink.

I just did a fresh re-install, and it's NOT in the menu by default.
Everytime I've made sure it was installed during install it has been in the menu for me. You have to attempt to config your net in the last Summary Screen with a modem.....then it will be installed. B4 knowing this I once added it after install and it was in the menu as well. Weird :roll: .