Openoffice1.1 installation fails

Guest arnev3

Guest arnev3

When I try to install openoffice 1.1, I get the following message:

/tmp/sv001.tmp/setup: line 1: dirname: command not found

/tmp/sv001.tmp/setup: line 176: /tmp/OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install/setup.bin: No such file or directory

/tmp/sv001.tmp/setup: line 176: exec: /tmp/OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install/setup.bin: cannot execute: No such file or directory

Who can help?

Arne

what package of OOo are you using & how are you going about trying to install it? it sounds to me like you're doing something wrong in the install. i just installed OOo1.1rc5 this week. i had no problems with it. here's how i did it. if you downloaded the tar.gz package, this may help.........

EDIT:

before doing the following, i would first uninstall any directory(s) that may have been created by the first install you did. you can do that by first trying the ./setup command & choosing "uninstall". if that doesn't work, then i'd say just delete them.

END EDIT

1. log into a terminal, change to root

2. go to the directory where you downloaded the package & issue this command (note, letters are CaSe sensitive!)

tar -zxvf [name of tarball file]

3. this will create a directory "install". change into this directory:

cd install

4. run the install scripts by issuing the following command:

./install --interactive

this will open up & run the GUI installer.

5. follow the prompts on the screen. when the installer is finished, you need execute the user-setup for OpenOffice.org. to do that, make sure you are no longer root - IE. become a regular user, then change into the program directory where you installed OpenOffice.org:

cd /name of directory/OpenOffice.org1.0

and execute the following command:

./setup

6. the user portion of setup will run. it'll be another GUI screen. again, follow the prompts.

7. when that's done, you can (or should be able to) run OpenOffice by (in terminal) cd'ing to the directory that you installed OOo in & issuing the following command

soffice

couple of other notes.

i since i installed rc5, it didn't create new links in the KDE kicker & it didn't carry over my old user settings from OOo1.0, so i had to do it manually. maybe since it's final, you won't have to do this, but if you do, here's what i did..... (i use KDE) you have to relink your old OpenOffice stuff using menudrake. also, you can copy over your user specific settings from OOo1.0 to OOo1.1, then you can get rid of 1.0. to do that, go to your /home/(your name) directory & look for your old version of OpenOffice & just copy & paste your old user & share directories into the new versions directory. when it asks you if you want to overwrite the existing files of the same name, answer "yes".

hope this helped.......

Chris

Guest arnev3

Thanks, but I solved the problem today.

It seemed that my shell doesn't know the command dirname which is used in several intallation scripts.

In order to simulate the command dirname, I created a shell script containing the following line:

echo $1 | sed s/`basename $1`$// | sed s:/$::

From then on I had no problems at all. This also solves my problems installing the Java IDE Netbeans 3.5.1.

By the way, in the final version file links and desktop menu's were created automatically.

Arne

I installed OOo 1.1, sort of, but something's not right.

I followed chris z's instructions in the above post:

d/l file, change to dir where d/l (as root) tar -zxvf filename, this created an installOOblahBlah directory, I cd'd to that dir and then did ./install --interactive.

That stuff seemed to work ok. However, then I am supposed to become a regular user and change to the dir where OO installed:

cd /name of dir/OpenOffice.org1.0 - well, that bombs out. What dir are we talking about here? It appears to have installed in /usr/lib ?

In /usr/lib there is an "openoffice" directory, and in the "openoffice" directory there are 3 other dirs - I think program, user, and share.

So anyway, I don't know where to do the user setup (./setup)

I d/l the orig tar file to /tmp in my home dir and I unpacked it there. Is that ok ?

So what did I screw up? I guess its not as idiot proof as everyone says, either that or I'm a 40 year old idiot... :?

Guest BooYah

I've never tried it the way chrisz has. And I've never seen the installation described that way on the OOo mailing list. Doesn't mean it won't work, though.

I put the tarball in /usr/local/ then unpack it. It'll create a directory named OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install.

Next enter that directory as root, and

./setup -net

the GUI installer wizard pops up and just follow the steps and remeber where you install it. Default is /opt/OpenOffice.org1.1 but I prefer putting it in /usr/local.

Now, you need to go into the directory where you installed OOo, and make your user the group, so you can have write permission in that directory. example:

chgrp BooYah /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0

Then go back to being a regular user, and run ./setup without the -net flag and pick Workstation Install. This will install some links and configuration files in your users' home directory probably ~/ OpenOffice.org1.1.0

null,

the rpms installed OOo in wierd places, so if you have a previous version, installed that's what's probably in /usr/lib/. That's one of the reason why I prefer the tarball for OOo, instead of rpms, is that I know where everything is--it's all in /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0 or in ~/OpenOffice.org1.1.0 if you install this way.

well, I was originally intending to do an apt-get install openoffice or something like that. That was before I found out that you have to install oo the hard way.

Anyway, since OO is "self contained" (no dependencies or anything like that) I uninstalled the version that came with my RH 9 distro (OpenOffice 1.0). I did an apt-get remove openoffice or something like that. So there is no original version on my computer.

When I did the ./install earlier today, it did walk me thru an interactive installation - asked me such things as "Recommended Install, Custom Install, blah blah). I did the first one, the regular install. Then after all that finished, I was confused in chris's instructions where to do the ./setup... ? I can't find any "setup" anywhere except in the original directory where I unpacked the tar. BUT if I do ./setup in THAT directory, it just starts asking me the exact same things that I just did with the ./install.

The ./install did not ask me about any locations to use. So why is the OO-linux-intel-install.blah blah directory in /user/lib ?

hey booyah I remember you from the chat room during the anniv "party" a month ago. Think I was logged in as "object" - it said "null" was being used or something...

Guest BooYah
The ./install did not ask me about any locations to use. So why is the OO-linux-intel-install.blah blah directory in /user/lib ?

This is because you ran the install script, instead of setup. setup let's you define what kind of installation you want, and where to put it

From the SETUP_GUIDE.pdf that comes with the tarball:

Installing From a Download Set on UNIX Platforms

1. Log on as the system administrator.

2. Start the graphical XWindow interface.

3. Change to the directory containing the downloaded installation files.

4. Start the setup application with the command:

./setup -net

Note: For Linux there is an automated installation script named install. This may

be used instead of the 'setup net' command if a custom installation is not

required.

Now, each user can perform a Workstation  Installation, to copy the necessary

files to his or her home directory or local hard disk. The Workstation Installation

is described in the next chapter.

Workstation installation chapter:

1. Log on with your user name.

2. Start the graphical XWindow interface.

3. Change to the program subdirectory in the setup directory on the server

installation. Do not use the original setup file of the OpenOffice.org installa

tion.

4. Start the installation script with the command:

./setup

You must have put the tarball in /user/lib and unpacked it there.

nope. I d/l the rpm.bin file to a /tmp directory in my /home. Then unpacked it. Then after the ./install it made an "openoffice" directory in /usr/lib.

Anyway, I'm just gonna re-do it the way booyah says.

thanks

edit: sorry, I mean tar file not rpm.bin file

no diff that way either.

when doing the last step (./setup) as a regular user, it does EXACTLY the same thing that it just did when I did the ./setup -net as root.

I put the tar file in /usr/local, I unpacked it, then I did (as root) ./setup -net in the directory OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install. Then I did the chgrp thing. Then I did the ./setup as a regular user, but it just does the same thing I just went thru (asks me Regular inatall, Custom Install, Minimum Install). It does not ask anything about Workstatiion Install. And after its done, I don't have any Openoffice anywhere in my Kde desktop.

At least I have got OO installed and working great on my win2k machine. So at least I can dump MS office on that machine. This linux tar, chgrp, local, opt, blah, blah, is just literally fu**ing pissing me off.

I have a really long solution at the END of this thread, which worked in Mandrake 9.1:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=8425

I also installed OpenOffice 1.1.0 in Red Hat 8.0. Follow this link, and read my second reply called "Got it solved!...":

http://www.linuxiso.org/forums/viewtopic.p...e53f6c34a4f09a9

Reply back here to let us know if either of these was helpful. :wink:

Sincerely,

Richard L.

thanks richard. Actually I have no idea if its installed or not, with all the screwing around I've done in the last 2 days.

What I have now:

1. an OO directory in my home: /home/don/OpenOffice.org1.1.0

2. under the above directory, there are 4 other dirs: help, program, share, user

3. an OO directory in /usr/local: /usr/local/OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install (contains 528 items)

So I don't know if its installed or not. It seems I need to do the final setup step where it basically puts it into your system. I want it to be showing in my kde menus, and gnome menus. And after its installed ok, I'll put a couple of icons on my desktop.

Sorry I got ticked off in the above post. I was ready to throw this out the window. At least I see that I'm not the only one having trouble with this new oo install. Why can't we get a popular program like OO in a "nice, installable" way?

Well, you definitely have it installed. And since you have a /home/don/OpenOffice1.1.0, that means that you have already done the

./setup.

Try this:

Go to /home/don/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program

Slowly scroll down and find "fromtemplate" and double-click on it.

A window will appear titled "Templates and Documents - Templates". On the left side, click on "New Document", then in the window at the right, double-click on either "Text Document" (to open Writer), "Spreadsheet" (to open Calc), or "Presentation" (to open Impress).

Did this work?

If so, then follow my directions from the previous posted link for putting a shortcut on the desktop and on the panel for the "fromtemplate", as it acts just like the Quickstarter in Windows with OpenOffice.

It would be too lengthy here for me to give steps on how to edit the menu in KDE to add it; and Gnome's menu is much harder to edit.

However, why go to the menu when you have direct access from the destkop and the panel?

I try to avoid opening the menu as much as possible because it's too slow and you have to waste a lot of time maneuvering the mouse around until you find the program you want to open.

BTW, adding a shortcut to the desktop in Gnome is easier than in KDE and is very intuitive. Do the KDE shortcut first for practice before doing the Gnome one.

Please reply back on how this is working out for you.

Cheers :wink: ,

Richard L.

p.s. (I'm too a newbie and non-techie with Linux, but I'm lucky to meet weekly at our Houston Linux Users Group Workshops every Wed. evening and have learned a lot. Now I'm less frustrated.)

Have a great week, null!

null:

Don't give up, that's what makes linux exciting. :wink:

I'm running mdk 9.1 and before deciding to "upgrade" to 1.1, I read all the posts here and some posts in the open office forum.

The firs thing I did after downloading OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz was to uninstall the previous version (and its libs) that came with mdk 9.1, including the ~/.open office dir. and followed exactly what BooYah recommended.

I had to edit flux menu to change command line to "soffice" instead the old command entry.

Good Luck.

Have a great week, null!

trying to cheer me up, richard... ?? :lol: thanks, I needed it.

Yes, the fromTemplate double click worked great, and I got into a new doc that way. I dragged the fromTemplate to the desktop & "copy link here" and renamed it OpenOffice...

I notice the fromTemplate window that comes up has New Doc, and some other stuff like My Documents (sounds like windoze :? ) So what is My Documents ? Its not a folder. And where do I save things I make with OO. Should I create a folder in /home like OO Docs or something?

Thanks for helping. I knew I was mostly there, I just didn't know how to finish it. Also, other people were talking about some prompt for "workstation install" but I never saw that part... :? What about other users on my machine using the new OO ?

Note: I uninstalled the prior OO 1.0 a few days ago, but I just noticed that it is still in my 5 year old son's kde menu, and panel. And it works too. I guess when you uninstall something, you are just uninstalling it for yourself... :? So I guess I have the OLD oo and the NEW oo on my machine.

Guest BooYah

null, you do not have an open office directory in /usr/local/. Take a look at mine.

drwxrwsr-x    2 833131 430      12288 Sep 23 02:00 OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install/

-rw-r--r--    1 floyd    floyd    78347712 Oct  2 17:11 OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz

drwxr-xr-x    6 root  floyd        4096 Oct  2 18:49 OpenOffice.org1.1.0/

Notice the install and the OpeOffice.org1.1.0 directories.

If OOo is working for you, it looks like it's installed in your home directory. That's fine, if you have the room in that partition, but other users, won't be able to use it, becuase they won't have permission. Hence you don't need the second setup step.

To make sure do this:

ll /home/don/OpenOffice.org1.1.0

See if any of the files in there are links that point somewhere else. If they don't then OOo is definetly installed in /home/don

Mine:

soffice -> /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program/soffice*

when doing the last step (./setup) as a regular user, it does EXACTLY the same thing that it just did when I did the ./setup -net as root.

This is becuse you used the ./setup command in the /usr/local/OOo_1.1.0_LinuxIntel_install/ directory and not in the /path/to/the real/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/ directory , where you should have.

So I don't know if its installed or not. It seems I need to do the final setup step where it basically puts it into your system. I want it to be showing in my kde menus, and gnome menus. And after its installed ok, I'll put a couple of icons on my desktop.

OOo will do this automatically, if you choose KDE and GNOME intergration in the set-up.

If you deide to try it again so you can put in /usr/local/ then you'll need to remove the file .sversionrc from your home directory, before reninstalling.