Time on System always goes back 2 hours after reboot

paCkeTroUTer

I am having problem setting my time on Mandrake 9.1 to be Australian EST(Melbourne). I correct it after clicking on the digital clock in the bottom right corner.... it asks for root password and then I correct the time. After I re-boot the system it reverts back to the time it was before I corrected.

Is there anything else I should be setting up for the time to be set properly ?

Go to MCC (Mandrake Control Center) and click System -> Set Date and Time. Adjust the time as necessary and click Time Zone. Change the time zone and change it back and click OK. After having changed the time zone, the time wizard will now ask you 'Is your hardware clock set to GMT?' Click 'No'. Everything should now be fine and stay that way.

Thanks, I have set it up the way you have mentioned. I will let you know if it works on my next re-boot.

BTW it was not 2 hours behind but 10 hours ahead

When it was showing 8 at 10 pm I thought it was showing 2 hours behind. But I didn't realise it was not shoing 24 hour clock. So infact it was showing 8am the next day instead of 10 pm the current day.

nope its gone ahead 10 hours now. This time I didn't re-boot or anything. I didn't use my system for a looong period and I heard 3 beeps a short while ago and I think it was going into sleep/hybernate mode ?

Anyway after coming back to my desktop I checked the time and it has gone ahead by 10 hours. One thing I can tell you is that Melbourne time is 10 hours ahead of GMT. Does that have anything to do with the time going ahead by 10 hours ?

you may not like my reply, but here it is anyway...

never use a wizard or gui tool when you can lay down a fat command on the command line...

and, honestly I have yet to figure out where the final straw is in mine. Perhaps yours is like this too. I must have missed it at install, because my server goes to EDT no matter what I do to it. I try manually adjusting it with the "date" command figuring out the syntax through trial and error myself since the --help absolutely SUCKS, and no matter what it always returns to EDT. The good news is that considering the shift in time zone, the time is right, and it continues to serve as an internal NTP server for my other machines which all display my proper MST time zone. And, they are synched.. uh sort of. Anyway, there is a file somewhere I have yet to find out in the google land that could be adjusted Im sure. Found the file Redhat uses, but unfortunately it must not be the same file in Mandrake.