Problem installing kernel source

Gnubie

can you post the output of

df -kh

?

im betting that its either you dont have a spare /usr or it is too small. you can symlink /usr/src with an unused partition/directory (say /home/whateverdir) to see if it would help.

somebody is surely going to post something less moronic so seat tight. :#:

ciao!

can you post the output of
df -kh

?

im betting that its either you dont have a spare /usr or it is too small. you can symlink /usr/src with an unused partition/directory (say /home/whateverdir)  to see if it would help.

somebody is surely going to post something less moronic so seat tight. :#:

ciao!

Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/hda1             5.8G  5.5G   34M 100% /

/dev/hda6              13G  3.4G  9.2G  27% /home

I don't like the look of that 100% used. :o

so you have the most basic partitioning scheme which means that /, /usr, /tmp and /var all go into that root directory. try doing these steps (you will have to consult the manpages from time to time as i am on a windows box at the moment)..

1. remove all files in /tmp that you dont use.

2. remove all files in /var that you dont use. pay special attention to those in /var/logs, /var/tmp and in /var/www

and do the following steps to use some empty space in /home (which still has 9GB of unused partition)

3. Create a new directory in /home (like /home/usr/src). If you are going to follow the example that I have given you then you can optionally change its permissions to match what /usr has (

# chown -R root.root /home/usr

note the hash mark in the code means you have to do it as root.

4. /Move all the contents of /usr/src to /home/usr/src. Do this as root. I forgot the switches that you have to give to preserve the permission and ownership. But you will definitely need the recursive switch (-r or -R).

5. Remove the /usr/src directory.

6. Create a symbolic link in /usr to point to /home/usr/src. Check the manpage but i think its

# ln -s /home/usr/src /usr/src

. I might have confused which one is the target and which is the link name. :oops:

7. You can also do the same (4-6) for /tmp. Beware though that if you do you might find you /home filled with temporary data. I recommend that you start learning how to use tmpwatch if you do this. :)

8. Read my sig. :P

ciao!

That's very good Mr. Newbie With 1239 Posts. I would like to clarify the move thing.

<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--># cd /usr/src<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--># mv -R * /home/usr/src<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--># cd ..<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--># rm -rf src<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--># ln -s /home/usr/src src

thanks mr. serenity. and here post count doesnt count. its can just mean that im a blabber mouth. :P

gnubie, i told you somebody will come with a less moronic post. wait till the really big guns start posting (no offense steve, but we know you are not yet ready for guru status :#:)

ciao!

If you have unused space on your harddrive, you can create a new partition, format it and make the mount point /usr and then it'll say, "You already have info on /usr, would you like to move it to the new partition?" Say Yes, then OK, and it'll say 'Writing partition table to disk....blahblah". Then reboot and your stuff should be moved. BUT, I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY WITHOUT LOSING ALL THE DATA I WAS TRYING TO MOVE, but it's supposed to work this way in theory.

then do the sym-linking part. :)

on a more serious note, if you boot into the cli (you dont have a windows interface) then you can (hypothetically) issue a

# rm -rf /tmp/*

to clean your /tmp. use the rm -rf command with caution especially when you are root!!!!

as for logs. in my book anything that ends with the log extension is candidate for deletion unless your system is malfunctioning.

but im a newbie... :)

ciao!

If you have unused space on your harddrive, you can create a new partition, format it and make the mount point /usr and then it'll say, "You already have info on /usr, would you like to move it to the new partition?" Say Yes, then OK, and it'll say 'Writing partition table to disk....blahblah". Then reboot and your stuff should be moved. BUT, I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY WITHOUT LOSING ALL THE DATA I WAS TRYING TO MOVE, but it's supposed to work this way in theory.

I think I'll try the first suggestion then, as I would rather keep the files if possible.

If you have unused space on your harddrive, you can create a new partition, format it and make the mount point /usr and then it'll say, "You already have info on /usr, would you like to move it to the new partition?"

<snip>

or why not just create a set of new partitions and mount them as /usr/src , /tmp, and /var (maybe even /var/tmp)?

sorry for having a one track mind but at least i dont think gnubie is risking too much if he does that. it shoudl ease the load on the root partition.

ciao!