Compiling and booting 2.6.0-test6

I got errors in the arlan wireless module and something else, forget what, but had to remove them and compile. Everything went smooth, but after editing lilo.conf and running lilo -v and rebooting, I get a 'kernel panic - no init found' after it failed to mount my filesystem (reiserfs). The error was (this is from memory and not verbatim, but very close):

Cannot mount reiserfs with those flags. Trying no flags.

Well, ok, trying read-only with no flags.

mount: Error 6 cannot mount local filesystem

Then it goes a few more lines until the kernel panic, which, of course is cannot find init since my filesystem is not mounted.

I did a 'man mount' and there is no 'Error 6' listed. I found out by Googling that Error 6 is "No such device or address". Here is my entry in /etc/lilo.conf:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.0

label="linux-2.6.0-tes"

root=/dev/hda1

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.0.img

append="devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi"

read-only

and /dev/hda1's entry in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 / reiserfs notail 1 1

I wonder if it's the 5th and 6th fields that the new kernel doesn't like? Anyone else have any ideas?

2.6 has new/diff pkgs for mods/initrd. I think one is called mod-init-tools but check our own cooker mirror here. It has them. Sucks really, I tried it and it didn't work worth a flip for my sys....tons of errrors. It's fun getting the old modutils and initrd stuff installed so you can boot back to the old kernel :P If you have the hd space, do 2.6 in a separate test install.