Mandrake Security Firewall Installed, but...

Guest leeach

Guest leeach

On reboot it loads me up in runlevel3(textmode) <--- :cry:

I know what your gonna say linux gurus....

Well, I wish it were that simple, u see, it says

startx

Bash: command not found or something of the sort. Should I try it as root? I'm pretty sure I did though...

Im using Mandrake 9.2(RC2) btw if it matters.

Well Ive figured out how to edit /etc/inittab.

I just login root, and type

vi /etc/inittab

So i go to change id:3:initdefault to id:5:initdefault so I can loadup GUI runlevel, right?

But how the hell do I save the file and get out of it??????

I tried just CTRL+ALT+F2 to get back to login and shutdown properly, but when I reboot, it says that innittab made a copy called innitab.swp <--swap file? and some error message about whether I want to delete it or edit it again... so I deleted it and came here, through a link on a post at linuxquestions.org. Great to have found an ACTIVE Mandrake board. Happy to be here ! :P

Please help, At least I'm doing some exploring of my own and not just asking blind questions, eh?

Im a bit confused but

Are you using the Mandrake Netowork Firewall or the 9.2Rc2 download??

Anyway,

If startx isn't working then changing the inittab won't help.

Are you sure about the case of startx (you didn't capitalise the x by mistake)?

If this is the case then either X isn't properly setup OR your path is screwy.

Anyway...

From the command line try

drakconfigure

This should bring up a text (ncruses) based config tool.

Try and set X here.

If you are having problems starting X you probably want to leave it in init 3 .... once its working you can set it in inint 5 as the default.

Guest leeach

X was fine until I installed this firewall, and about the download, well i got the Mandrake firewall from the same site i downloaded the 3CD isos for the Mandrake 9.2rc2 OS.

Anyways, drakconfigure is not found as a command, i tried drakx, drakconfig, drakconf,

I even tried drak configure, nothing.. Not even when I rebooted with Runlevel 3 was the command drakconfigure found.

Doesnt matter if I use runlevel 5 or 3 there is no desktop, just commandline please help!! :cry:

Hi,

1) about configuring on text mode, try mcc

2) about vi: :lol: I get crazy with it too at the beginning,

To Edit type 'I'

To stop editing type Escape key

While you are not editing:

- To quit without saving enter :q!

- To save and quite enter :wq

That's all I know about vi, it's enough to rescue

roland

Guest leeach

I am getting one error on shut down and it is the only one that fails when it is sent the kill signal, and that is the Display Manager, if that matterz, anyway

startx not found, the only file in my /usr/X11R6/bin directory is enable_X11_numlock*

i try to execute it but just get an Error that it can't display, oh my, i dont even have startx ....

Maybe i should just uninstall this firewall and hope Mandrake comes back normal?????

If this is what I have to do, how would I go about doing it???

Thanks in advance

Ummm...Why did you install the MNF fire wall ?? Are you running a large network or intranet ??

Sorry if im wrong here, but im guessing you just wanted a simple firewall.

If thats the case, then remove MNF from your system, and just use the security features in MCC control centre, or install shorewall, or guarddog etc.

Guest GorGor

leeach, I replied to your guarddog post cos I likes me doggie.

You mention your x server once worked, my suggestions until you get a better reply are

1) you may have changed your msec settings too high and if so you will never get to X until we fix your paranoid settings. heh heh.

try command msec 3

2) your setting may be so high you can not immediately login in direct to root. so login to any user account then use su to get to root then issue the msec command