Will it work ?

Mandriva-user

Hi !!

Well I got i686.iso.

So what make it different bet. i586.iso and i686.iso? :?:

Thank you for your help :wink:

686 are PII and compatibles

586 are PI and compatibles

You can use a 586 binary on a 686 but not the other way around (normally).

Mandrake is created for 586 (hence also for 686 and better), so they don't use any PII-specific instructions when compiling.

theYinYeti

686 are PII and compatibles

586 are PI and compatibles

You can use a 586 binary on a 686 but not the other way around (normally).

Mandrake is created for 586 (hence also for 686 and better), so they don't use any PII-specific instructions when compiling.

So it makes a big different,I understand now.

Thank you for the info.

Mandrake-user :wink:

DragonMage

Where did you get the i686 iso?

Well I can`t remember some where from the internet and before I download I read first before I get burned from the law.

I play 100% save and never broke the law.

I download so many stuff from linux site and ((pc site(like pcworld....)) :wink:

Mandrake-user

It's not that.. I am just surprised that Mandrake created a i686 ISO (if that is Mandrake). Usually Mandrake only have i586 ISOs. If there is such a thing.. I am going to download that and replace my old i586 isos with it. I mean.. I have an athlon, I686 compiled mandrake would be faster than i586 compiled mandrake ain't it?

DragonMage

It work just fine but what I have problem sometime my mandrake 8.1 crashes and I did not install any software on MD 8.1.

Well I can wait other 5 or 6 week before I install MD 9.0 ,in 2 weeks I will get AMD TB 1.3GHZ on my new system with pioneer 106 DVD-ROM.

Mandrake-user :wink: :lol:

DragonMage I have a question for you.

The question is you click on control center,when is open up does it say what system you are runing like that one.

KDE

Release

Machine:

Is that correct 8) :wink:

Mandrake-user

Ah, that.. well... I don't believe that at all really.. I have an athlon so it should be something different, but I think it just detect something that is part of p2 and above and just show it..

A real i686 iso should be compiled to a i686 architecture, including the kernel and such.. There used to be a rpm depository that are compiled specifically for athlons in texstar's place, but no more.

DragonMage

Ah, that.. well... I don't believe that at all really.. I have an athlon so it should be something different, but I think it just detect something that is part of p2 and above and just show it..

A real i686 iso should be compiled to a i686 architecture, including the kernel and such.. There used to be a rpm depository that are compiled specifically for athlons in texstar's place, but no more.

In fact that I know my friend compiled on his computer and I`m sorry to say he can do far more then everyone else can do hier,I ask him yesterday about one hardware,nobody can help hier because,he setup my system for me.

Bet.1-2 years ago he told me to get new motherboard epox 8kta3,he know what his up to.ther you go.

That`s way I ask about i586 and I have i686,what can I do.I have the i686 architecture sometime it crashes.It is runing fast :lol: :lol: 8) 8) :wink: :wink:

Well Glitz:

Exact;y when does it crash and what did you do to make it crash?  

just I can tell you I try to save large files on the zip drive it crash,why? :?