k3b won't copy disk to disk

VeeDubb

Okay, I have scsi enabled on BOTH of my drives (or at least I think I do), and k3b setup reccognizes both drives correctly. I let it write it's own fstab entries and then I launched k3b. While the program works fine, I can not select my regular CDROM as a reader. I am forced to read and write out of the same drive whitch of course takes twice as long.

What am I doing wrong??

Here is my fstab, notice that there are the mandrake entries as well as the k3b entries so my drives are listed twice. If this is the problem, fine, but I need to know exactly wher eto pu the word supermount to have supermount ability on the fstab entries made by k3b:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

#these are the original mandrake entries, only the mount points have been changed

none /mnt/cdrecord supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,defaults 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

#these are the k3b entries

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd	/mnt/cdrom	auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	0 0

/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd	/mnt/cdrecorder	auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	0 0

Put a hash mark (#) in front of the first two cdrom related lines. Just use the two added by k3b.

And (this is a religious statement!) don't use supergoof--I mean supermount! :lol:

okay, now it's getting interesting.

I did like you said and my default mandrake icons for my drives went 'poof' as I exected and I manualy set up a link for my CD burner by right clicking my kde desktop and selecting new> CDrom drive.

Only problem is, I was able to select the CDburner but not the reader. something is screwy....

Any ideas??

physicaly, the reader is set up as my secondary master while the writer is set up as the primary slave. I did that on purpose so they would not be shareing a cable.

okayt, that's all fixed now, (except the supermount) but k3b STILL won't let me choose my CDROM as a reader. What is up??? Here is my newly revised fstab, whitch is how k3b made it.

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

#none /mnt/cdrecord supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,defaults 0 0

#none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdd,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 /usr ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target1/lun0/cd	/mnt/CDROM	auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	0 0

/dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/cd	/mnt/cdrecorder	auto	ro,noauto,user,exec	0 0

I noticed that my CDrom is still listed as IDE, even though I changed the append l;ine in lilo.conf to

append="quiet devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi hdc=ide-scsi acpi=off"

If this is wrong, what do I need to put there to enable scsi????

As I noticed in my last posting, it was in fact still recognizing my CDrom as an ide device. It turns out that it should have been hdd instead of hdc, so a quick edit to the lilo.conf and I'm on my way.

I would however still REALY appreciate it if somebody would explain exactly where to enter 'supermount' for me though.....

It's a religious thing for me! I never tell anyone how to enable supermount!! :mystilol:

Seriously, I have had it working about half the time, but I encounter really odd problems that don't seem related to my cdroms, and disabling supermount makes those problems go away. (example: when installing anything the cdrom drives are searched endlessly. This is odd, especially when the rpm I am installing is in the directory I am in!!) :roll:

THanks everyone, and I understand what you mean ix, it's just that I'm originaly froma windows world and I just can't get used to having to unmount a drive before I can open it. Just seems un-natural, and I've been lucky. supermount has never cause me a problem. Of course it's all sworking now just the way I want it. much appreciated to all, especialy Ix