warcraft3 under linux

Guest Arcymag

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, if you're going to be playing Warcraft 3 through winex, I hope you have a serious system, it performs only half as well as it does under windows.

Winex generally damages games' performance quite seriously...

Buy some Linux games!!!

Ok, check this out: http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q2/02..._gaming-01.html

After reading the full article you might find that you were very lucky with your performance.

Play a few Linux games and you just might pack up those windows games for good, but don't listen to me, read the article...

Guest HaloScan

I've noticed that each game I've tried under WineX runs very close to the 'full speed' I get with Windows.

I'm not sure about you D0lson, but I don't like switching back and forth between OSs just to play a game--especially when it's playable under WineX. Heck, even battle.net works with WineX now (for WC3 and Diablo 2).

I've noticed that each game I've tried under WineX runs very close to the 'full speed' I get with Windows.

I'm not sure about  you D0lson, but I don't like switching back and forth between OSs just to play a game--especially when it's playable under WineX. Heck, even battle.net works with WineX now (for WC3 and Diablo 2).

Since you're not sure about me, I'll tell you about me. I buy and play Linux games. That's it. And last I checked, WineX was limited to something like 50 frames per second, no matter what game. Often, it would perform less than that too. Maybe they fixed it, but I don't really care.

Guest HaloScan

lol. I was only stating my own experience D0Lson--I wasn't attacking your opinion. :)

I've only been using WineX since 2.0 (they're at 2.1 right now I believe). Performance has been very good from what I have seen. Soldier of Forune 2, WC3, Diablo 2, Sacrifice, the Sims, etc all give very playable framerates (especially SOF2--opengl--which gives 50+ fps regularly).

I would like to be hardcore as you are but I just can't resist some Windows games that come out. ;)

Evil things always look attractive. Since everyone is sharing about themselves :? I'll tell you about me: I believe in using the right tool for the right job.

Windoze games were designed for windoze systems (for those of you who haven't heard of it: Windows is another name for a very serious boot sector virus and also the only virus with a copyright).

I haven't been infected with windoze, so I don't play windoze games.

Winex has achieved some pretty impressive things, but until people start buying Linux games, we are not going to convince gaming companies to produce for Linux. What game is better then quake anyway? what the &$(# is going on? It's been fun sharing with y'all anyway...

What the...?

You know my name is DOlson. There's no zeros or capital Ls in it. If you need to, I have a copy-paste tutorial on my site... ;)

Anyhow, WineX sucks.

I was infected by Windows once, and then I found a cool virus removal utility called DiskDrake. Neat, actually.

Windoze games were designed for windoze systems (for those of you who haven't heard of it: Windows is another name for a very serious boot sector virus and also the only virus with a copyright).

OMG that is funny, but sadly, so true.

Winex has achieved some pretty impressive things, but until people start buying Linux games, we are not going to convince gaming companies to produce for Linux. What game is better then quake anyway? what the &$(# is going on? It's been fun sharing with y'all anyway...

I wrote to Mark Rein, VP of Epicgames, to tell him that I and many people like me bought UT2003 because it came with a Linux installer out of the box. I also had a chat with one of the developers just before the last patch came out about developing more games for Linux. The future of Linux gaming, while not as strong as Windoze (yet), is looking pretty damn good if you ask me. I would much rather run a native port than the same game through a "compatibility layer" like WineX.