Softawre patents passed

GodFlesh

See http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php?t=8177

In its plenary vote on the 24th of September, the European Parliament approved the proposed directive on "patentability of computer-implemented inventions" with amendments that clearly restate the non-patentability of programming and business logic, and uphold freedom of publication and interoperation
"With the new provisions of article 2, a computer-implemented invention is no longer a trojan horse, but a washing machine", explains Erik Josefsson from SSLUG and FFII...

From what I have seen among those amendments, obviously business method such as the famous One-Click purchase of Amazon.com is being shot down and denied of patentability. However, it remains to be seen what constitute as a "technical" innovation, something not so clearly indicated in the amendment.

One thing to be sure is pure software patent is unlikely under the amendment, but a hardware + software combination form of patent would be possible as suggested. What we have here is not a clear victory, but a truce to stop fighting in exchange for temporary peace in a while. It remains to be seen how the new proposal will be executed and enforced, and how the anti-ePatent lobbying groups would police and report those in violations.

As far as I understand, the amendments deny the right to patent "pure" logic and software. Patents will be authorized when software code interact with "physical forces".

In other words, it will be only possible to patent code when strictly related to hardware like dishwashers, industrial robots, percolators, pacemakers, car engines, etc. It does not concern software managing "information" and concepts.

European free software activists say it's a victory. I'm not sure, but anyway, the amendments have greatly reduced the danger of this directive.

God!! Edit the freakin first post... damn it. you scared me to death.

That soft patent thing would sink real deep any programmers future in my country if EEUU (already partial laws) and Europe (now also with partial laws) pass that stupid thing.

Heck i dont know if this is a victory, but compared to what i thought in those 2 seconds it took me to click on the link to the post, its pretty big. Now, to continue the fight.

damn it. you scared me to death.
:shock: Me too! :o

For an instant, I felt a wave of cold down my spine, a dimming of everything around, and fear! Fear for the future. (Imagine the shock, in contrast with yesterday's news!)

It's a really important issue, IMO. Now I feel better, after reading the comments.

Yves.