e17 startup

mdg

I have e17 installed along with all dependancies but I can't get it started. There is no Enlightenment option in any of the desktop managers I've tried (KDM, GDM, MdkDM, XDM)

I have a directory in /usr/share/enlightenment with various sub-directories but I can't find the executable to start it (it's not in /usr/bin)

I read rcxau's post about gdm and e17

bvc, i had the same problem, the fix is to (if you are using GDM):

1) su

2) change line 2 of '/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Enlightenment' from:

exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession enlightenment

to

exec /usr/bin/enlightenment

3) Logout and try it!

but it doesn't help me without the executable file. Also checked the Enlightenment forum without finding much.

Everything was installed with Mdk rpms. It took me long enough to install, now I'd really like to use it.

edit: BTW, I'm using Mdk 9.2rc2

In kde, there is an administartion page in the control center. (Not mcc, but the kde control center) If you go into that , enter your root password, and find the session manager. You should be able to add enlightenment. It would then be a choice in any display manager.

I am at work on a worthless windex box, but I got e17 going in rc2. I'll look for the executable. It must be in a different place than it used to be. I think I found the answer to this on enlightenment's devel sight or some place. If you don't have an answer, Ill post later, about 2 hours.

I think there's a problem with the installation. There's no "enlightenment" in /usr/X11R6/bin. I tried with Xtart but it only shows KDE as a choice.

How could the install go smoothly (with all deps) and the most important file not be installed? As I said before, there is a Enlightenment dir in /usr/share/enlightenment, plus subdirectories. A system-wide search for "enlightenment" brings up only this directory.

Short of uninstalling and re-installing I don't know what to do next.

I guess I like reviving old threads!

I duplicated this problem in 9.1. To fix it, I added enlightenment to /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/, and made the file executable. The executable is at /usr/bin/enlightenment. I then had to make the sym links so that the fonts would show up, and I could see some menus! I didn't know if this was ever resolved, or if we just gave up. (We would never do that! :wink: )

Some of our latest attempts:

Actually, it seems that none of us got it to work perfectly.:(

I got e17 working here installing the rpms but during evas installation I had to use nodeps trick to make it go,even so I've been loading it via .xinitrc file and don't have any enlightement file or whatever at /usr/x11R6/bin directory. My e17 files are located at :

/usr/share/enlightenment, like yours;

/home/william/.e and a script file like this at /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/

#!/bin/sh

exec /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession enlightenment

my .xinitrc file:

export LC=C

export LC_ALL=C

#exec gnome-session

#exec startkde

#exec enlightenment &

#idesk &

#gain &

#xmms &

exec xscreensaver &

#exec gnome-settings-daemon &

#load this to have gtk2 apps look ok

GSDPID=`pidof gnome-settings-daemon`

if [  "x$GSDPID" == "x" ]; then

gnome-settings-daemon &

fi

exec fluxbox

Anyway, it would be great to revive these threads!!! :roll:

Let's help.

I eventually gave up on e17, I couldn't get it to start at all. After a few days of trying, I figured if it's this hard to get to stage one, I'm either lacking some file or something is wrong with my computer. It couldn't possibly be lack of knowledge, right? :D

Now I'm trying to make fluxbox look pretty, but I'd still like to get e17 going