RE: USR 5610b modem driver

Guest nashdan

I have installed MDK9.0 and USR's driver for thier 5610b PCI hardware modem. The /proc/pci shows IRQ 9 , port address a000, but kppp returns a modem not found error for all available com ports. I find no setserial util in 9.0 and don't know how to resolve this problem. Any ideas?

Thanks Dan

I use to have the same modem and installation of a driver is completely unnecessary.....it's in the kernel. All that's required is pointing the dialup utility to the correct ttyS, which if I remember correctly is /dev/ttyS4 (com 5 in windows) is that rt? You need to see what /dev/modem is pointing at. As root, in a terminal do;

file /dev/modem

and post the output here.

Since you installed a driver, I'd imagine it needs to be loaded.....is it? As root;

lsmod

to loaded it if it's not;

modprobe driver_name

Of course, I haven't read the instructions for the install of the driver either.

Please excuse my inexperiance with Linux, I am unable to post the results due to lack of a working linux net connection but will attempt to transcribe the results. file /dev/modem: broken symbolic link to ttys3, this would seem a problem. modprobe 3c990: to paraphrase, will taint kernal, device or resource is busy, modprobe: insmode 3c990 failed. Well that pretty much says the driver won't work and the symbolic link to /dev/modem is broken. I can remove the 3c990 driver but how to correct the symlink? Thanks, Dan

To remove the broken symlink, from a terminal (as root) do;

rm -f /dev/modem

Then do;

ln -s /dev/ttyS4 /dev/modem

ttyS4 is where that modem should be, unless the driver install changed it somehow. See if the above works first by pointing kppp to /dev/ttyS4 or /dev/modem. You may be able to load the driver when the symlink is fixed. If not, I'd remove the driver>reboot>file /dev/modem to make sure it's still point to ttyS4 and try kppp again. There's also DrakNet in the mandrake Control Center that will attempt to find it. It found my 5610B but when I told it to connect it said it failed. Wait just a minute, and you'll see it didn't fail. DrakNet just doesn't wait long enough. This happens to a lot of people, and they think DrakNet failed when in fact it didn't.

a google search

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/ar...2003/07/2/72005

I removed /dev/modem, 3c990 driver, rebooted, did the ln -s /dev/ttys4 /dev/modem, rebooted. Now when I do file /dev/modem I get broken symbolic link to /dev/ttys4, in kppp I find no ttys4 listed. How do I get kppp to find ttys4? Thanks Dan