will be run from W2K PCs.

Done so far: Loaded Mandrake 9.1 with no problem, setup network, can ping W2K

PCs from Linux PC but W2K PC cannot ping Linux PC. Linux PC can browse net no

problem.

I read about SAMBA, cannot find "samd" but found directory /etc/samba,

downloaded samba-latest.tar.gz from web but cannot get pass the ./configure

command.

Could someone please send me detail step by step instruction or links to setup

and run SAMBA, also tell me why my W2K pcs cannot see the Linux PC.

Our LAN config -> Broadband -> Linksys router -> 4x W2K PC + Linux PC

Much appreciated.... :shock:

Try using webwin

in a console type:

su

(password)

urpmi webmin

once installed type

/etc/init.d/webmin start :?: (I think thats it)

once statred open your web browser to:

http://localhost:10000

sometimes its secure

https://localhost:10000

my locahost name is arora so mine is:

https://arora:10000

You will see many "tabs" I believe Samba is in the Server section. Sorry not in front of my computer now.

Ther are many ways to set up samba.

I share a folder in my home directory named Xfr. I right clicked on in when to share and enable file shareing. When done I ended up going into webmin to activate follow sym links out of directory. Linked a few other drives (IE /mnt/mp3) to the xfr directory.

I havent used it but I think there is samba swat also.

Did you add any repository's yet :?: When you type urpmi webmin it will search for that program in all repositorys. Defualt is usually the three cdset only. You can add more - lots more 8)

Goto:

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

Follow the steps and enter the commands given as "su" .

Then try urpmi webmin

Also try typing webmin in a install package screen in the Mandrake Control Center.

Goal : Want to setup Mandrake Linux on a PC to act as file server for 4x W2K

PC, no fancy security, just to be able to mount a drive off Windows explorer

and allow users to save files to a shared space in Linux PC (it has 2x 60G

drives). This will allow us to setup cron jobs to backup files and centralize

location of work files. No application sharing from Linux. All application

will be run from W2K PCs.

Good

Done so far: Loaded Mandrake 9.1 with no problem, setup network, can ping W2K

PCs from Linux PC but W2K PC cannot ping Linux PC. Linux PC can browse net no

problem.

Did you installed a firewall on your linux box? Do you see something in /etc/shorewall?

I read about SAMBA, cannot find "samd" but found directory /etc/samba,

downloaded samba-latest.tar.gz from web but cannot get pass the ./configure

command.

You don't need to configure/compile/install this way man .. Samba is on your CDs. So in a console type as root the following to install Samba client and server:

urpmi samba-client

urpmi samba-server

This will install Samba on your computer. Now, play with the config file to suit your needs (/etc/samba/smb.conf). You should read this file carefully since it is self-explaining. Look specially for the variable workgroup, netbios name, [tmp] and [public].

Now the only thing you have to do is start the samba server as follow:

service smb start

Now to stop the server and now its status its

service smb stop

service smb status

I think you can also look in the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) under System and DrakXService to start/stop/status it and allow the server to start on boot (you probably want that).

Could someone please send me detail step by step instruction or links to setup

and run SAMBA, also tell me why my W2K pcs cannot see the Linux PC.

May be the firewall problem as explain above...

IF you need more info let us know!

HTH

MOttS

As a side note:

After entering all sources from the PLF ezurpmi:

in a console type:

su

(enter password if needed)

urpmi.update -all

then

urpmi --auto-select

May want to have a broadband connection for it if you a have a fresh install. This will update your system. In particular it will download Texstar's KDE3.1.3 update :!: :D

You folks are so great, I followed the instructions, did the following and samba server is now running:

. downloaded file from http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/

. rerun urpmi webmin

. run urpmi samba

. /etc/init.d/webmin -start

. launch https://localhost:10000 from browser

I am able to see the Linux host from W2K PCs network neighborhood but I ran into other newbie problem:

. Somehow, unless I log on as root, all other users can't even run ping from a command line.

. I cannot log in as root anymore because the Gnome screen only present users for me to choose from with the 2 options " reboot" or "Halt" everytime I logout (After I added users and sign in as user and save configurations). How can I revert it back to the default login screen not Gnome one?

. I cannot see the directory I want to share from any W2K PCs

Please stay with me, I know there is light at the end of the tunnel.... Thanks a lot..

Somehow, unless I log on as root, all other users can't even run ping from a command line.

Ping and a few other commands (nmap for example) are reserved for the admin of the system. So you have to open a terminal and 'su' to root to use them. This is the way it works in Linux.

I cannot log in as root anymore because the Gnome screen only present users for me to choose from with the 2 options " reboot" or "Halt" everytime I logout (After I added users and sign in as user and save configurations). How can I revert it back to the default login screen not Gnome one?

Why would you run a desktop as root? You should NOT do that for security reason. If you wanna run something as root you only have to open a terminal, 'su' to root and type the command you wanna start as root... as simple as that.

Now, there is several login manager you can choose... I guess you are looking for MdkKDM. Open the MCC and go Hardware. You should see and icon about Login Manager or something like that. Go ahead and do what you wanna do.

I cannot see the directory I want to share from any W2K PCs

Post your /etc/samba/smb.conf here and we'll tell you what to modify in it. Which directory you wanna share?

MOttS

ac_dispatcher & Motts,

Thanks a lot for your help, I managed to share a folder in my Linux amont all 4 W2K PCs and 4 users. Since this is the first time I use Mandrake, I considered this a real achievement. Yes, Mandrake is powerful and relative easy to use (with help from kind hearts like you).

I can go home and get to keep my job now..

One parting question, we like to keep this Linux file server in a network room and leave it to run continuously, can it run (boot) without keyboard,mouse,monitor and I simply use VNC to control it from PCs outside. Network room is 4 floors away from the office where the PCs are.

Once setup, I will not touch it, hook up an UPS to it and let it go.

Thanks again...

One parting question, we like to keep this Linux file server in a network room and leave it to run continuously, can it run (boot) without keyboard,mouse,monitor and I simply use VNC to control it from PCs outside. Network room is 4 floors away from the office where the PCs are.

Sure. My server is always up (you can see my uptime at the bottom of my avatar if you are NOT using IE :twisted: ) and there is no mouse/keyboard/monitor attached to it. It boots no problem.

Good luck!

MOttS

Somtimes it does not run the file manager a su. Try this:

Applications/filetools/FileManager-Superusermode >> drag and release to desktop. click "copy".

Now right click and I believe its the execute tab. I think it will say konqueror. (sorry not at home) chage it to say "kdesu konqueror" (without quotes). Or you could just run that command from a konsole.

If you put "kdesu" then the execute file it will run it as root.

Also VNC server should be found in the:

Mandrake Control Center (MCC) > System > Services:?:

It will state if it starts at boot. If its not there it may not be installed.

I was using rfbdrake VNC to gain access to the Linux server from any W2K PCs, like to put the server in a network closet 4 floors away so need to be able to autoboot with VNC server at boot time, no monitor, no keyboard, no mouse.

I don't know how to setup rfbdrake in command line (may be I should be using something else), I can't find vncserver anywhere in current system load.

I managed to get the system to boot to my user account automatically but will systen stops when key board is not there or without mouse and monitor? May be there are places I can ask boot to ignore and proceed with boot when encountering these missing.

Please help.

Thanks

Not having a keyboard may be a problem. Not having a monitor is no big thing . Not have a mounse can be ok. May need to add:

Section "ServerFlags"

# Don't die if X couldn't open a mouse device

Option "AllowMouseOpenFail"

# ... other server flags options

EndSection

in your XF86Config-4 file (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4)

if you edit it make a copy first!!

Sometimes that has not worked for me but I use two mouse (mice) touchpad+usbmouse.

For a VNCserver try to go into your MCC > Packages > add Software :?:

You can type a search work in the find box. try vnc and see if a vnc server comes up.

May want to go to your local GoodWill and pick up a junk keyboard. :wink: