Problems powering down

Guest chuchoteur

Guest chuchoteur

I'm not sure whether this is a hardware or software issue, so I will post it in both forums. I am running Mdk 9.1, freshly-installed. It does not power down my computer when I use shutdown -h or poweroff. Furthermore, it disables the actual power switch, so I cannot mannually turn it off, I must turn off my surge protector!

Currently I have to use reboot and then turn the computer off once the system has halted, and as you can imagine, this is a little annoying. Redhat, Slackware, and Debian have all powerd my computer down just fine, as have several smaller distros.

Does anyone have ideas about this?

Guest chuchoteur

Yes, I forgot to mentioned it, but halt does the same thing. It says "halting system," like normal. It says "Powering down," like normal. Then I hear a *click* and nothing happens and my power button is disabled!

I know it's not just a problem with the switch, because I've run a couple llive-cd distros in the last few days, and they shut it down just fine.

I think the deal is permissions. I use $ halt -n as user.

On my mandrake 9.1 setup shutdown is in /sbin/shutdown so it is root only

halt is /usr/sbin/halt so any user can access it. (also in /sbin/halt of course)

I can user powerdown as user, but it is longer to type the command! :lol:

Guess you can change permissions, link it or make an alias, but I like the short 4 letter version! :wink:

Oops! :oops: You posted a few seconds before me so I didn't get the info that halt didn't help.

When I first built this box I had a memory card issue that caused that same behaviour. Is this a new machine? Could that be the problem?

Guest chuchoteur

I've run all three only as root, perhaps I should try from my normal user account? Though I don't see why it should make a difference at that stage of the game. They all three halt the system. My problem is that none of them will actually switch the computer OFF.

Welcome!

What? Laptop/Desktop?

What model?

What's the bios set at AMP/ACPI/both?

What is ML9.1 using at boot APM/ACPI/both?

IF acpi, does your bootloader config file, instruct the kernel....acpi=on?...and is apm off at boot. Var log messeges will tell you which is being used and found first, which is how it works actually. The kernel will only use one...the first it finds.

There are several threads on the forum concerning this issue as well. Maybe you answer is in one of them. :)

A colleague of mine experienced same problem with IBM NetVista and MDK 8.0. Only way he could powerdown his system was to pull out the cord of the powerpoint.

I read then somewhere on Google that that was a well known NetVista's 'feature'. It has got a bit better now: on my NetVista running "halt" (as root) shuts down everything except for power - I have to press the button to turn off power.

Guest chuchoteur

Hey everyone, thanks for your help. I've never been knowledgeable about the power management utilities... but I found that I was running apm, which was not compiled into the kernel! So I switched to acpi, and then I did indeed have to change the grub config file to enable acpi at boot... and now everything works fine.

Thanks a lot, and rest assured that you'll be visited by all my Mandrake problems.

On the plus side, I have to say that Mandrake is definitely my favorite of all the linux distros I've tried out. I ran RH for quite a while, but when I upgraded - from 6 or 7 to 9, I did not like the way they had a) bundled the packages and B) organized the kde menus... and I also found it's a lot easier to pare Mandrake down to a small install than it is RH.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

any, if acpi is in working order. Some are symlinks, some are scripts to call symlinks, or halt directly....doesn't really matter. I read that if poweroff is used it notify's acpi.....I d/k if true. The important thing is to get acpi working. Install acpi, and acpid, make sure they are set to run at boot, and as described above tell the kernel through the bootloader to use acpi.

Guest bhrich902

so i went to mcc to shut down apm and start acpi but didn't work. i made lilo acpi=on and still can't completely shut off everything...

Oct  8 00:50:17 localhost acpid: acpid startup failed

Oct  8 00:50:42 localhost apmd[1026]: Exiting

Oct  8 00:50:42 localhost apmd[1026]: call_proxy: Executing proxy: '/usr/sbin/pmsuspend' 'stop'

Oct  8 00:50:43 localhost apmd: apmd shutdown succeeded

Oct  8 00:50:48 localhost acpid: acpid shutdown failed

Oct  8 00:50:49 localhost acpid: acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory

Oct  8 00:50:49 localhost acpid: acpid startup failed

Oct  8 00:50:55 localhost acpid: acpid shutdown failed

Oct  8 00:50:55 localhost acpid: acpid: can't open /proc/acpi/event: No such file or directory

Oct  8 00:50:55 localhost acpid: acpid startup failed

Oct  8 00:51:00 localhost apmd: apmd shutdown failed

Oct  8 00:51:01 localhost apmd[2306]: Version: apmd 3.1.0, apm driver 1.16, APM BIOS 1.2

Oct  8 00:51:01 localhost apmd[2306]: call_proxy: Executing proxy: '/usr/sbin/pmsuspend' 'start'

Oct  8 00:51:01 localhost apmd: apmd startup succeeded

Oct  8 00:51:02 localhost apmd[2306]: call_proxy: Executing proxy: '/usr/sbin/pmsuspend' 'change' 'power'

Oct  8 00:51:03 localhost apmd[2306]: Using AC power

Oct  8 00:51:03 localhost apmd[2306]: Battery: absent

im on a dell dimension v450 pII 450 all stock...thx