bash for DOS?

phunni

I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can either get a bash shell that runs in windows or a program that puts all the bash commands in your windows path so they can be used in DOS - anyone have any idea what this might be?

I sometimes have to use windows for work - and I sick of using a crappy dos prompt - even with the broken tab completion that XP provides...

Cygwin.

It provides a windex port of bash. Some of your favourites might have been ported to it too. I know nano, links, wget, freeciv, rxvt, vim, xpdf, xchat, loads of libraries, and a lot more have been. It's just like having a linux command line.

ALso you can run X and Openbox if you want but it isn't the easiest to work.

you can get it at www.cygwin.com

James

very cool idea - where did you read that?

Do some searches for "distcc" in gentoo forums, you might also try "cygwin" too. I was looking into distcc to see if I could use it on my Sparc & Athlon box and ran across the cygwin users. :wink:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=4...t=cygwin+distcc

I'm a bit too embarrased to post on that forum and admit it as well as loads of other seem to get it without trouble - I never thought I was particulary thick - until today...

Cygwin can do that to you at first blush. But it's not too bad -- the installer pretty much does everything for you, although configuring X is tricky, as cybrjackle noted. I have cygwin running in a couple of machines, mainly for the occasional remote X session (worked great when the monitor on my linux box broke, and I could run a remote X session from the laptop, for instance). Although its bash prompt is pretty functional, I haven't found it all that useful for interacting with anything that's actually on the local windows box. It certainly can do so, as it maps your windows drive to an easily-accessible path (something like /cygdrive? It's been a while) -- so if the tools you'd like to use are ported to cygin, it could be handy. At any rate, like I said, the installer makes it really easy to setup and at least poke around in the shell, so it's definitely worth a try.

I had a heck of a time getting distcc to work, after it was finally working I canned the system and put mdk beta on. Which is ok, cause I'm thinking for rebuilding my main box with Gentoo and using LVM anyway. Would have had to redo it for that config anyway.

There are a lot of distcc post out there, don't feel bad, just look around and see what all the other people had problems with and how they got it going. Usually you can pickup what 40 others messed up. :wink:

Microsoft also provides the standard shell tools (bash, rm, cp, mv, ls, etc) as part of the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. This also means that you can type ls at the prompt of cmd.exe and get a listing.

ATT also provides a tool canned UWIN that looks interesting (I have not tried it yet).