Wireless Network Card Help Needed

Guest jeremyhache

Guest jeremyhache

I'm a noob to networking with Linux but hopefully it's not that tough. I basically need help with setting up a WEP key for my PCI Wireless network card. It's a DWL-520+ D-Link card and Mandrake 9.2 seems to install a compatible driver, some Texas Instruments card I believe. But when I run through the networking setup I don't get an option to put in an encryption key for my wireless router anywhere. Is this something I have to do manually using the command line?

Shouldn't I be able to enter a WEP key somewhere though? I found stuff online showing how to do it on RedHat, so it should be an option in Mandrake as well...I hope. Whatever, I just want it to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Open up MCC and head over to the Network wizard (Networking). Then run the wizard for your card (verify that it does recognize your card) But run the wizard using Expert Mode. It should give you the option to enter your WEP key. Make sure that your WIRELESS_MODE is set to Managed otherwise your settings probably won't be saved.

Guest jeremyhache

So I went through the Network Wizard, and at the second or third step it gives me the following message:

"insmod'ing module acx100_pci failed at /usr/lib/libDrakX/modules.pm line 61"

It then displays:

"Found Texas Instruments|USR2210 22 Mbps Wireless PC Card network/main interfaces

Do you have another one?"

At this point I can look through the available network drivers but I'm unable to pick another that I think may work. If I continue with the Networking Wizard it doesn't give me the option to configure the WEP key.

So Mandrake sees my wireless card, and it gives it the closest driver to it, I suppose. It is seen as a Texas Instruments|USR2210 22 Mbps Wireless PC Card network, although it's a D-Link DWL-520+ Wireless PCI. D-Link doesn't have any drivers for Linux and they don't support Linux installs so I'm out of luck trying to get help from them.

So, am I screwed? Is there something else I can try or should I just buy another Wireless card that supports Linux and Windows?

That driver is experimental from what I've read, simply because TI refuses to give driver support to Linux. The acx100_pci driver is the correct driver for that card, but it seems like it's hit or miss, mostly miss, for everyone who has tried it.

If you have the cash, I would say go for another card. It seems like a bad way to do it; but it would be better to get one that is supported 'out of the box' than one that has shoddy support at best. If you do go out for a new card, I would say go for a prism2 or orinoco chipset as they have the best luck and support with Linux. It will say what the chipset is on the box.