Applications hanging and crashing

payasam

Moderators: Please move this elsewhere if that is appropriate.

On trying to close every worked on photo, the GIMP routinely gives me the "xxx is not responding. Wait or force quit?" It has happened also with OpenOffice and now with Firefox when I wanted to upload a photo to a photography forum. I have used Linux for five years without facing this particular problem, which is more than a mere annoyance.

IMO you should check your Gnome settings' permissions. It's likely that some of them have wrong ones. I had such an annoying behaviour with the GDM configuration files, which I resolved succesully by- errr, switching from GDM to Slim... :D

Metacity is a slow window manager, but not THAT slow to cause such errors on closing.

There's no problem, medo3891, when launching an application: I have trouble when I'm working within it. I looked up the link you gave and found that it pertains to beagle, which I have already removed.

Scarecrow, Slim and Metacity are entirely unknown to me. Before this install I always used KDE. I switched to Gnome because I thought the new KDE bloody awful. I wouldn't know where to begin to check the Gnome settings' permissions.

Metacity = the window manager included in GNOME (like kwin for KDE).

Slim is an alternative window manager.

There's no problem, medo3891, when launching an application: I have trouble when I'm working within it.
If you start the application from the terminal, there is a chance that - upon it crashing - some information will be written to the terminal that is useful. Often warnings, error messages, etc. will be output to a terminal (when you would not see them otherwise) - starting from when you run the application to when it closes (not just when you launch it). So medo's tip is, in fact, relevant to your problem.

I would suspect a bad user setting first - try creating a new user, login as that user, and see if the issues persist. If so, then the next thing to check is your GNOME install - try reinstalling it. If problems STILL persists, check your RAM with memtest86+, as a bad piece of RAM can cause problems such as this (and weirder ones).

Edited by tyme

For the record, Slim is an alternative login manager.

Your gnome settings are all in the (hidden) folder .gnome2 which you can find in your user directory. The files in there should all have read AND write permissions by your user, else they may cause behaviour like the one you described above.

Thank you, tyme. I now see the point of launching an application from the command line.

Scarecrow, I am confused since I saw that Control Centre (which too has hung once) also describes Slim as a log-in manager. I don't know what will become different if I install that. I shall see about permissions in .gnome2. Thanks.

I had problems once when I installed an old theme in a newer version of gnome. If you've not installed themes, and it's using the default, then it probably won't be this. If you did, then it might be worthwhile checking.

I do use Save As in the GIMP, because I load ORF (Olympus raw) files and save them as TIFFs. Nothing of the kind in other programs, though, certainly not in Firefox. If I'm stuck with libbeagle -- well, then, I'm well and truly stuck.

Edited by payasam