Too upgrade each time?

ac_dispatcher

I'm one of those few still using MDK 8x (8.2) and since everything works fine, I've updated all the stuff I use and I don't need the latest KDE or Gnome eye-candy (use Fluxbox) I have no urge to upgrade. I won't 'til the 2.6 kernel is out and nice and stable. Even then, I may keep 8.2 if I can figure out how to install the 2.6 kernel in it.

I'm not big on upgrades in general, just when I need to. I've only this year started changing our office workstations from Win98 to Win2000, and we'll run 2000 'til hell freezes over or we can make the change to Linux - whichever comes first.

But as far as what Gowator was saying, I've found Mandrake to be MORE trustworthy than any version of Windows for everyday use. I run for weeks at a time without even a reboot and crashes are a distant memory. All the Windoze worm/virus stuff lately has just made me more certain that Linux is a more trustworthy system (and kept me real busy at work). I've moved all my home and business finacial records into Linux, family photo files, mp3s, etc, etc. So my confidence in Linux now is pretty high.

That said, I still have a small partition with a basic Win98 install on it as an emergency backup system. But then, I also do on my Win2000Pro machine at work. When it comes to computers, ya gotta have backups for EVERYTHING.

The upgrade vs reinstall situation does suck. But it does for Windoze too. I never upgrade Windoze - I always do a fresh install, for pretty much the same kinda reasons people here do with Mandrake. Even so, no doubt Mandrake should work on the whole upgrade thing. At least for minor point upgrades it should work reliably.

Guest fubar::chi
There's a few people here who still run MDK 8.00 They swear by it, and have no reason to upgrade. If your version is working perfectly, you don't need to upgrade to the latest. Although 9.2 is due out soon, some updates for 9.1 were recently released, so they are made available for a while. Most important is ofcourse the security fixes.

DO NOT INSTALL MDK AND USE COOKER AS THE UPDATE SOURCE.

unless you have an affinity for things fubar. It might not happen right away but it'll happen. Regardless, I personally :wub: cooker. I had everything perfect w/ 9.1 and decided i was not going to upgrade to 9.2 but then i resubscribed to the cooker mailing list (my downfall) and one thing just led to another. I ended up fubar-ing my system (now you know where the nick comes from :wink: ) and lost all data on all partitions none of which was backed up. In spite of all that I'm not pissed (even after losing my website which I spent the whole summer making). I guess I just like living on the edge and if you do too chances are cooker is for you. So if the above narrative seems like you and your game (and back up regularly) start ac_dispatching some bug reports missy :mystismiles:

Many of the cooker files /apps are experimental, unless you know what your doing, you will crash your system.

experimental is just another way of saying "begging to be tried" :twisted: :wink:

I think in the end Ill stick with 9.1 for everyday use. Im looking into changing over to Gentoo as a primary distro but Im having to relsove some kernel panic lockups when emerging large files :twisted: Going to try vanilla or gs sources next.

I tried to urpmi -auto-select again with the cooker. It died a painfull death. Had alot of fun though. From un-updated 9.1 to lastest cooker was dependency hell. Now its just plain 9.1. Until the 2.6 kernel. :wink:

Anyone have a clue when that will come out? MDK 9.3 :?:

But as far as what Gowator was saying, I've found Mandrake to be MORE trustworthy than any version of Windows for everyday use.  I run for weeks at a time without even a reboot and crashes are a distant memory.  

My point is that it shouldn't be compared to Windows.....

Im not comparing it to Windows, I don't even run woindows and have no desire to.

What I was saying is compared to OS-X or Debian or Solaris or ... the reinstall thing really sucks.

Even what I remember of Redhat it Upgraded with the exception of 7.0.

Which Is when I changed to Mandrake !!!

Far from thinking Mandrake sucks, i happen to really like it and it pains me that as a production system I can't upgrade reliably.

I don't mind having one machine to try a new distro or even a spare partition here and there but with the amount of spare time I have I just seem to get it how I like then need to reinstall.

The whole idea of keeping the /usr seperate is to allow a 'upgrade' and keep your settings!

Ive been with Mandrake since 8.0 and there's always something new I want but I'd usually be happier to wait an extra month or so while they fixed the 'upgrade' than have to redo everything.

If 9.0 or 9.1 were my first attempts at linux I might nor realise it doesn't have to be this way. Other distro's do it so whey not Mandrake.

Is it really just becuase it's so 'bleeding edge' ? or is it lack of attention on really finishing the job?

Its the fact that say for bluetooth support I upgraded to 9.0 and now I am waiting for some things in 2.6 but I just wish I could just 'upgrade' the kernel and not have so much work!!!