Mandriva One woes - and 2009 Free

payasam

Thanks. Can't see any particular use for system snapshots. Have used ksnapshot in the past, but as this time I have installed Gnome...

[edit] Can't find gscrot in the Control Centre, and command line urpmi says it does not exist.

Edited by payasam

Gnome-screenshot is in the gnome-utils package in the Mandriva repos.

This thread is getting a bit confusing with all the different problems. I would suggest that you start a new thread in the Hardware section about your scanner problem, and include the scanner model you're using. Then we can mark this thread solved. :)

Thanks, Greg. I thought there was something fishy about the name.

Not to worry, I won't add the scanner to this thread when I get around to it. I shall first check sane to see if it's supported; and I understand that an Epson site (Avasys?) has drivers.

Just one more here, Greg, and that because it seems to concern the fstab already dealt with. An icon appears on my desktop with the label "386.6 MB Media". I don't like it.

The gnome-utils package was already installed, by the way. I didn't pay attention because there was no gscrot to be found anywhere.

No, you cannot mark this thread "solved". I'm still stuck with the Jumpin' Panel, even if it takes perhaps 20 seconds to fix.

I'm not using Gnome now, so this is from memory and I'm assuming you now have your main panel with the menu at the top, and you have another panel at the bottom... if that is correct:

I believe you will first have to right-click on the lower panel and click 'delete this panel'. Then drag your top panel to the bottom. Then in your main menu find the gconf-editor and go to > apps > panel > toplevels > top_panel, and change the 'orientation' key to 'bottom' or 'lower' (I can't remember). Then > gconf-editor > apps > panel > global, and check the 'locked_down' key.

And for that icon, please post the output of

df

and

mount

Greg, I found no way to change the "orientation" setting. I did specify "locked down", but when I rebooted the panel was back at the top and I couldn't bring it down until I had unchecked "locked down". Let's just forget about this. As I said, it takes less than half a minute to bring it down at each boot. The menu sequences, I should say, are slightly different from the ones you gave. But then of course you were working from memory.

Here is the output for which you asked:

[albert@localhost ~]$ df

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/sdb5 7.7G 3.3G 4.1G 45% /

/dev/sdb7 11G 6.3G 4.8G 58% /home

/dev/sda1 5.9G 3.7G 2.3G 63% /mnt/win_c

/dev/sdb1 15G 11G 4.6G 69% /mnt/win_d

/dev/sda5 69G 25G 44G 36% /mnt/win_e

/dev/sda6 358M 2.1M 337M 1% /media/disk

[albert@localhost ~]$ mount

/dev/sdb5 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime)

none on /proc type proc (rw)

/dev/sdb7 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime)

/dev/sda1 on /mnt/win_c type vfat (rw,umask=0,iocharset=utf8)

/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/win_d type vfat (rw,umask=0,iocharset=utf8)

/dev/sda5 on /mnt/win_e type vfat (rw,umask=0,iocharset=utf8)

none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)

/dev/sda6 on /media/disk type ext2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)

The computer was generally slow, and GIMP, Adobe Reader and OpenOffice all hung repeatedly. I have a suspicion that this could have been because I had banished the "386.6 MB Media" from the desktop by unmounting it. Second, in GRUB I had booted not into "Linux" but into what must be a newer kernel.

Does the CTL-ALT-ESC combination not work in MDV 2009?

I think beagle is the culprit in the "slowness" case. Install and run htop, and see what's consuming the CPU or RAM. If it's beagle (and system indexing and search tool) and you don't need it then uninstall it.

For the removable drive icon on the desktop open system>preferences>configuration editor. Then expand apps>nautilus>desktop , uncheck volumes_visible .

I think Alt+Ctrl+Esc works only in KDE. For Gnome, install xkill the press Alt+F2 and launch it, or launch it from terminal. There's also an applet "Force Quit" that you can add to the panel.

medo3891, it's my guess that htop does what wintop does in Windows. Thanks. Only problem is, I rather like beagles (canine kind). I'll see if I can get the icon to go away through the nautilus->desktop route. Thanks again. Yes, I did notice the "force quit" applet -- but Alt F2 seems easier and cleaner. In the five years for which I've used Linux, I've always been on KDE. Much Gnome ignorance to be overcome.

[edit] Could not find htop and xkill, neither through Control Centre nor with urpmi. Removed Beagle anyway, since I don't see any use for indexing. The unwanted icon is gone.

Edited by payasam

To my poor knowledge, the best system indexer/file finder, is Strigi. It is much faster than any other similar utility, while using way less resources. It's only cons is that the index files take quite a bit of space (although way less than beagle), and that there's no way to integrate it in any other DE than KDE4. You just have to use "strigiclient" separately, which is a qt4-based app, but does not have any KDE4 dependencies. But, you do have an alternative: catfish is a gtk app, which can use several search engines for finding files, one of them being strigi.

I have also used beagle, pinot, and tracker, but (IMHO) none of them is as good and fast as strigi is.