Mandriva One woes - and 2009 Free

payasam

I struggled for a long while to update my fresh installation of Mandriva 2009 One and succeeded only when, on the advice of a friend with experience, I changed the sources of the media. But that was hardly the end of my problems.

I must configure my Net connection in MCC each time I reboot.

The changes I had painstakingly made to the appearance of the desktop disappeared after my last reboot. I have a blue screen with a text only panel at the bottom, sans clock and nearly all else.

The option to configure printing and scanning has no option for a printer.

I cannot type in single quotes (apostrophes) or double quotes.

Edited by payasam

Printer: http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2009.0_Errata#...in_One_editions

I cannot type in single quotes (apostrophes) or double quotes.

Reconfigure your keyboard choosing the correct layout in the mcc>hardware>keyboard layout.

The blue screen with the text only panel is probably icewm not KDE or Gnome, so you need to log out and select KDE4 or Gnome, whichever you installed, from the session type menu in the login screen.

I don't have much experience with connections configuration but it'd help any of the guys here to help you if you post more details about the connection. Is it wireless or wired? what driver are you using, ndiswrapper or the native driver?

Thanks for the printer link, medo3891. I should be able to fix the keyboard thing in MCC. I have the KDE version (which does come with icewm) and am set up to log in directly. Wired connection, native driver. Never had this problem in several installations of Mandrake and Mandriva and PCLinuxOS.

Well, I'd set it up for auto log-in but I get the same log-in screen twice in succession. The "look and feel" is now back (almost) to what I had made it -- and as you can see, I'm getting quote marks from the keyboard. Will look into the networking section. Thank you.

I have since discovered that the network settings can be done from the desktop, without going into the Control Centre. The problem can be described as Mostly Solved.

However, there is a more serious difficulty. Mandriva is not correctly recognising my Windows 98 partitions. Two files are attached, the output of fdisk -l and the original fstab.

sda1 is marked win_c and is indeed Windows C:

but

sdb1 is marked win_c2 but is in fact Windows D:

and

sda5 is marked win_d but is in fact Windows E:

Will appreciate advice on making the correction.

fdisk_l.txt

fstab_bac.txt

Linux doesn't recognize Windows partition names, it simply gives them a mounting point. If you would like, you could unmount /dev/sdb1 and rename /mnt/win_c2 to /mnt/win_e. Then unmount /dev/sda5 and edit your fstab in this section to:

# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=1C02-1C67 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0,iocharset=utf8 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sda5 :
UUID=323E-130E /mnt/win_e vfat umask=0,iocharset=utf8 0 0

Then remount /dev/sdb1 to /mnt/win_d and remount /dev/sda5 to /mnt/win_e. This will be a closer match to your Windows names.

Greg, thank you. I tried simply interchanging D and E in fstab and re-booting, but that didn't work.

[edit] Did what you advised, Greg. Rebooted and all is well. The Windows drives' labels in the left pane of Nautilus don't work, but who cares?

I still do not understand why I must reconfigure the network each time I boot. Never happened before in Mandrake/Mandriva, nor in PCLOS.

Another annoyance is that every time I boot, I see the panel at the top of the screen although I left it at the bottom.

Edited by payasam

Here we are:

[root@localhost albert]# ifconfig -a

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:BA:D7:0E:A0

inet addr:123.237.17.34 Bcast:123.237.17.255 Mask:255.255.254.0

inet6 addr: fe80::250:baff:fed7:ea0/64 Scope:Link

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

RX packets:25211 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:16938 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:14124168 (13.4 MiB) TX bytes:2662309 (2.5 MiB)

Interrupt:18 Base address:0x6000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback

inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1

RX packets:1280 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:1280 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

RX bytes:98432 (96.1 KiB) TX bytes:98432 (96.1 KiB)

[root@localhost albert]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

NETMASK=255.255.255.0

ONBOOT=no

METRIC=10

MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no

USERCTL=yes

RESOLV_MODS=no

IPV6INIT=no

IPV6TO4INIT=no

DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient

NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

PEERDNS=yes

PEERYP=yes

PEERNTPD=no

To make it automatic, edit your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
METRIC=10
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
USERCTL=no
RESOLV_MODS=no
IPV6INIT=no
IPV6TO4INIT=no
DHCP_CLIENT=dhclient
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
PEERDNS=yes
PEERYP=yes
PEERNTPD=no

Let us know if that works.

Will do, Greg. It's hardly a major problem, but still.... Will play it safe and keep a copy of the original ifcfg-eth0.

[edit] Done. I suspect it could've been done through the CC too, but the options there are none too clear and I'm old enough to be a little scared of GUIs.

I suppose I shall have to put up with the Jumping Panel. Takes less than a minute to fix on each boot, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

Another grumble is a message that pops up several times about there being USB devices available for backing up. It stops doing that after a while, so that's really no big deal.

If only I can get my scanner to work with Mandriva, I won't really need my Windows 98 any more; even though I have lots of free goodies in there and shall probably want to keep it.

Edited by payasam