Broadband

Guest mahiles

We currently have a campaign going in my town to get broadband and so when we get enough people wanting it they'll give it to us :D

I just wanted to see if there's anyone else who lives in the UK and has signed up for Freeserve Broadband (going with FS 'cos we already have a dialup account with them). What type of modem do you get and does it work in Mandrake?

Thanks

Lol what's "reasonably priced"?? My parents (who happen to pay the phone bill and internet bill) think that paying £14.99 or whatever it is a month for internet is way too much anyway. Think how they're gonna react with something more in the region of £27.99? (Thank God for part time jobs - or rather, my part time job :D )

I really don't want to give BT any more money, any suggestions for a reasonably priced alternative?

PlusNet is great value for money, and I've had no problems with them. Their standard home account offers lots of features for £21.99; but you can get Homesurf for £18.99! :)

Here is a comparison with their main rivals:

http://www.plus.net/info2/compare/competit...re_res_dsl.html

BTW I bought an Alcatel Speedtouch because I wasn't sure their modem would work with Linux. :unsure:

Lol what's "reasonably priced"?? My parents (who happen to pay the phone bill and internet bill) think that paying £14.99 or whatever it is a month for internet is way too much anyway

:D

I must be showing my age, I'm with them :lol:

I'm reckoning having paid well over the odds for the network for all these years the least BT can do is give me something back without holding me to ransom for it. I really am turning into a grumpy old bastard (where's the emoticon for that?) :twisted: .

We got a bare-bones package from Tiscali which has been great. Instead of a modem we bought a combined ADSL modem/router/switch/firewall. It runs our house network, and provides internet access to all the machines on the network. It just works with any machine with a working network card, so no hunting around for weird drivers for Linux. All I had to do was set the IP address of the router as the gateway in Linux.