Kernel 2.4.22 problems.....

Guest Takmadeus

Guest Takmadeus

as many of you may already know, the linux kernel was updated some days ago, to version 2.4.22..... now... has any of you tested it already?.... i say so because I upgraded (via full sources, not patching) and I got a problem......

my CDrom drive is crazy..... when, say i pop a cd in the CD-RW drive, it reads it as normally would do, but when I do the same with my normal cdrom unit, it does not respond, it just acts crazy..... saying that I must specify the filesystem type...... when I specify at /etc/fstab, it saysd "wrong option, blablabla or too many mounted filesystems" that would happen if you had a worng filesystem in fstab (like supermount on a non patched kernel) now, here goes my fstab:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user,ro,sync,dev,exec 0 0

/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto noauto,user,sync,dev,exec 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/nt ntfs noauto,user,ro,sync,dev,exec 0 0

now, about the linux ans swap stuff.... well, I don't need to post them, just this..... scd0 is my normal cdrom drive, scd1 my CD-RW onw, and hda1 my winXP partition...... this eetting always worked when I used 2.4.20.... but now not, shall i get back to the old kernel?... or is there any other solution?

What you are describing seems more like a problem with supermount, which I do not use because of unpredictable weird behaviour. The kernel is in the 9.2rc2, and I have had no problems related to the kernel.

Guest Takmadeus

>What you are describing seems more like a problem with supermount, which I do not use because of unpredictable weird behaviour. The kernel is in the 9.2rc2, and I have had no problems related to the kernel.

I DO not use supermount (no good with scsi emulation....)

>why is your nomal cdrom drive setup as a scsi device?

so i can burn CDs on the fly with xcdroast.... with an atapi interface it screws up my cds

For most CD burning software, it won't see the regular CD ROM you want to copy from unless you use scsi emulation.

Try this arrangement:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0

Instead of:

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user,ro,sync,dev,exec 0 0

Guest Takmadeus

thanks guys..... i already solved the problem.... just went back to 2.4.20... now it runs like a charm, and all my hardware is working perfectly..... maybe it is a 2.4.22 bug...

PS: udes exactly the same configuration I used for 2.4.22