Acme

Guest Tux234

http://www.hadess.net/misc-code.php3

ACME is a small GNOME tool to make use of the multimedia buttons present on most laptops and internet keyboards: Volume, Brightness, Power, Eject, My Home, Search, E-Mail, Sleep, Screensaver, Finance, WWW, Calculator, Record, Close Window, Shade Window, Play, Stop, Pause, Previous, Next, Groups, Media, Refresh and Help buttons.

It works on all the platforms GNOME supports (laptops and PCs). It uses either OSS or ALSA for Volume control (adding other sound-backend is pretty easy, contact me if you have access to other hardware/platforms where ACME doesn't work).

They don't have much on there web site, but I would guess you can only configure what's in the applet.

I had it once and I don't think there was a way to change what key ran what program. Xbindkeys is better IMHO because you can also download an RPM called xbindkeys_config that allows you to easily change the program a key launches. And you can make other quick-launch combos with keys other than multimedia keys. You can click 'New' then type in the name you want to call the key, type in the command you want it to run and then click 'Get Key' and a window will pop up. Make sure that window is focused by clicking on it and then click the button you want to associate with the command. Make sure you click 'Apply' and/or 'Save & Apply & Exit'. A lot easier and more configurable. If you've forgotten what key does what, you can run xbindkeys_show. You just have to run xbindkeys in the background as the user who did the configuration with xbindkeys_config by typing this in a shell:

xbindkeys &

You can add that command to the end of your ~/.bash_profile script.

You could still check out Xbindkey's

http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.html

xbindkey is a program that allows you to launch shell commands with your keyboard or your mouse under X Window. It links commands to keys or mouse buttons, using a configuration file. It's independant of the window manager and can capture all keyboard keys (ex: Power, Wake...).

http://hocwp.free.fr/xbindkeys/xbindkeys.h...l#configuration

Volume up:

aumix -v +10

Volume down:

aumix -v -10

(I think those are right)

You can change the 10s to higher or lower numbers, depending on how much you want to increase/decrease the volume by for each press of the button...personal preference.