With RAID1 I cannot update kernel

dude67

From above:

Loading ahci module
  Waiting for driver initialization
  mdadm: /dev/md0 not identified in config file.
  mdadm: error opening /dev/md0: No such file or directory

do you still get the mdadm error when you restart now that it was added to the /etc/mdadm.conf file? Is the error the same? I want to see if we've partially solved something here or whether it still complains about it.

From above:

Loading ahci module
  Waiting for driver initialization
  mdadm: /dev/md0 not identified in config file.
  mdadm: error opening /dev/md0: No such file or directory

do you still get the mdadm error when you restart now that it was added to the /etc/mdadm.conf file? Is the error the same? I want to see if we've partially solved something here or whether it still complains about it.

Yes, I got the same error as before. And if I didn't bring this up earlier, I cannot boot to any other option (in Mandriva) than the current kernel - i.e. I cannot boot to e.g. failsafe or linux-nonfb...

That could well be because failsafe or linux-nonfb are using the new kernel as well now. I think by default, they all get modified to boot the new kernel. The only way of booting the old kernel is the one where the actual version number is earmarked against it - which is what you're doing.

I'd log a bug for it, since it seems you cannot get the system to boot because of issues with mdadm. I have a funny feeling, that I've seen posts not so long ago mentioning dmraid, which is not mdadm. And if so, I wonder if mdadm was dropped in favour of this, and thus why you cannot use newer kernels.

Yes, I think I should file a bug, unless someone comes up with a solution.

I'll look into it and see if the bugzilla already has that bug filed. I'll post back the results.

Anyway, thanks again Ian for you help!

:beer:

• 2 months later...

An update:

I did file a bug (on Jan 25th) , but no news as of today in bugzilla. It was assigned to a team (Feb 13), but nothing new since (it's still marked as NEW even though it's labeled high priority and critical by the receiver).

But, I just tried today to boot with the latest updated kernel version (2.6.27.19-desktop-1mnb) and it worked! I don't know what's been updated, but it works. I did a reboot with 'Linux' as the default kernel (i.e. booting automatically to the latest installed kernel version) and it is working fine.

I'll wait a few days before reporting this to bugzilla, but it's looking good! :thumbs: