format ZIP

jeanrev

If it is mounted, just format your /mnt/zip directory.

Your WM/DE (Window Manager/Desktop Environment) should have tools to do it as well. Which one are you using? Is there a zip icon on your desktop? Have you right-clicked on it and looked for the option in a drop-down menu?

If it is mounted, just format your /mnt/zip directory.

Your WM/DE (Window Manager/Desktop Environment) should have tools to do it as well. Which one are you using? Is there a zip icon on your desktop? Have you right-clicked on it and looked for the option in a drop-down menu?

yes my ZIP is mounted on the desktop and the right clic provides "open with""copy"

send to bootmarks, modify this type of file, zip this file, create date CD, unmount but with the supervisor permission

nothing to format it

thanks

I found a floppy formatter in the KDE desk top for you.

the K "start" button>configuration>hardware>floppyformatter

Maybe since you have the zip drive an option for that will show up there.

Thanks for your help but apparently this floppy formatter is not designed for anything else than floppy

I couldn't see any way to use it with my Iomega ZIP

First, you should not format a mounted filesystem. You format with the mkfs command which must be done as root. This is the syntax:

# mkfs -t <filesystem type> <device file> <block size in kilobytes>

My zip drive is a usb and is designated as /dev/sda4. Assuming yours is the same, you can format as follows:

# mkfs -t msdos /dev/sda4 98000

The main problem you'll have is that you probably have supermount enabled on your zip drive so as soon as you put a disk in the drive it's mounted which mkfs doesn't like. Also, you can not unmount the drive with the umount command with supermount enabled. I have supermount disabled on my drive so I have no problem. You'll have to edit /etc/fstab to disable supermount. Here's my line from fstab for my zip drive:

/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip vfat user,exec,noauto,defaults,umask=0,rw 0 0