ADSL MODEM Problems

Guest glennmsmith

Guest glennmsmith

Hi all

This is my third attempt over the years to get into Linux, and from what I've seen it really does seem to be a stable and exciting platform these days! So I'm doing my very best to move to Mandrake, scrap Windows, and live happily ever after! However...

I have installed MDK 9.1 and all is well except for I cannot connect to my ISP. I am in the UK and use Tiscali Broadband quite happily under MS-Windows. The Modem is a SAGEM Fast800 and under Windows this is configured to use PPPoA. The MODEM is on when I boot windows (two lights) but I also need to dial Tiscali (via a telephone number) using PPP in order to connect and login.

Now I'd like to do the same under Mandrake. The driver from the SAGEM site doesn't compile (did with 9.0 apparently, not 9.1). Therefore I've downloaded the EAGLE 1.0.4 driver from http://eagle-usb.fr.st. On a clean MDK9.1 install I've added the kernel-source and kppp RPM's and have installed the eagle driver and all is well. When I do 'showstat' it tells me the modem is ok, and when I type 'startadsl' followed by 'ifconfig -a' it lists three items, eth0, ppp0 and one other (lp0?). And that's where I fall down. There is nothing in /dev/usb other than lp0 (the printer). There is no /dev/modem. When I configure kppp it needs to know the device but none of the defaults work. I've tried linking (ln -s) /proc/usb/003/004 or whatever it was to /dev/modem but this doesn't work. Nor does 'mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM0 c 166 0' and using /dev/usb/ttyACM0 in kppp. Basically, I'm stuck with no internet connection under Linux.

I've been at this for over a week, I'm even downloading MDK9.2RC1 to see if that will help.

HEEEEELP! PLEEEEEASE?????? :cry:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a Sagem 800 for a year now, used under Mandrake 9.1 and now 9.2 Cooker and it works. Under 9.1, I used the driver and the installation procedure found on eagle-usb.fr.st. In 9.2 Cooker, the driver is included in the kernel (as a 3rd party module) and a package adiusbadsl is also provided (startadsl and so on..). The only thing which failed sometime is the automatic launch of the connexion at boot time.

If startadsl doesn't solve the problem, I un-plug and re-plug the usb cable, forcinf a new recognition of the modem : quite dirty but quicker... ;-)

Some answers to your mail :

- I don't use kppp at all.

- The modem is considered as a network card (eth0 or eth 1 if you have real network card), so you don't need to look for a special device.

- In the /proc virtual file system, the driver is in /proc/driver/adimodem.

Did you follow exactly the procedure given in eagle-usb.fr.st ? The documentation and the install procedure of 1.0.4 are well done.

Anyway, you're not so far to the solution : if showstat shows Modem is operational, believe me it's very very good ! It means that's your problem is probably in the ppp config : /etc/ppp/pap-secret, /etc/ppp/options.adsl, etc.. and that's less tricky than the driver part !

If you still have trouble, go to the very active eagle-usb.fr.st forum.

Berthy :oops:

No doubt this will work under USB but I always prefer a 'clean' connection via ethernet.

Its less fussy and you know WHERE the problem is.

Now your problem is somewhat different.

Your actually using pppoa which is technically better than pppoe.

(Since the internet itself runs on ATM not ethernet pppoe is a bit of a pointless step. )

However linux itself is built on TCP/IP and this is tuned mainly to ethernet.

I know the kernel has options for ATM support and I don't know if these need to be compiled in or if Mandy does or not.

When you get the internet under linux it is like a whole new world.

The internet runs on unix and unix standards and linux is part of the family.

To windows the internet is like an addon- to linux its part of its entire being... let me put it like this...

Its like seeing the oceans through the eyes of a dolphin as opposed to strapping an aqualung on your back!!!

So ... persist and you will be rewarded.

My best advice is (if you can afford) take the money you would have spent on a Windows upgrade... either OS or any of the packages that are FREE in linux and spend it on a ethernet-pppoa box.

This will make your transfer to the new world less painful.

Hopefully someone in the UK on your ISP can help with the settings and Im sure the USB modem WILL work under linux, it will just be more work!

Id' be surprised if the 'telephone call' is realy a telephone call in the true sense of the word.

A lot of providors tell you to put a text string into the dialog box for numbers when using ADSL. It seems like Tiscali have kept this numeric and probably made it look like a valid number but what is most likely happening it is is just using it as authentification.

I could help you to edit the files manually for pppoe and its probably very similar. It can probably done automatically in a file called /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and possibly another one called chap-secrets.

This just passes the string and password to authenticate you!

When you ifconfig -a its showing you:

eth0 (your ethernet card?)

ppp0 (a logical device for the ppp part)

and lo0 the loopback device (this is used for making internal TCP-IP requests - its the device for localhost....)

The ppp0 is where my knowledge falls down becuase I am on a pppoe exchange and if I did connect directly it would be through pppoe.

Whatever you decide good luck and hopefully someone will add to my comments and enlighten you further :D

Try looking on google for 'tiscali linux' you should find other linux users.

Concentrate on finding what you need to add to which files and compare it with what you know you need in the way of authenticifcation on your paper work :D

Strictly speaking ASDL isn't a MODEM ...becuase its completly digital but thats a technicality....

Hi,

can be only little help but give some hope witch is a lot.

I use just the same Modem at home and had no problem to install it (I must admit it was already plugged when I did a fresh install of Mdk9.1)

No need for extra driver: Mdk9.1 (download edition) already have it.

I'm just surprised you need ppp and have a telephone number.

Did you try MCC::DrakConnect ?

Do everything on expert mode, be carefull a too small window can hide some buttons, configure only internet connection: uncheck the network setting.

When you are asked whitch protocol, choose pppoa as DrakConnect suggest: something like "pppoa (Sagem USB modem)".

Also, get the 2 DNS IP addresses of your ISP, uncheck "get the DNS address automatically" (or something like that) and enter them.

Also check you leave GATEWAY empty.

Try again with DrakConnect: that _must_ do it.

good luck and welcome

roland