How do I manually mount a NFS share the KDE way?

tux99

I have a NFS server on my home LAN which is not always switched on, I would like to be able to manually mount/unmount some shares off it from a Mandriva 2009/KDE3 box from the GUI. As this laptop is used by my wife I need an easy GUI (few clicks) way of doing it, is there anything in Konqueror or anywhere else in Mandriva 2009/KDE3 to do this?

I'm asking this as I'm not very familiar with the GUI tools and I wasn't able to find anything suitable, personally (being a cli person) I would use a simple mount command from a console but that's not an option for my wife.

I know I could write a short script and link it to an icon on the desktop, but I hope there is a 'proper' KDE3 way of doing it (something like the 'map new network drives' functionality in Windoze)?

Ideally I would like it in such a way that for every preconfigured nfs mount an icon appears in the task bar along with the other removable storage media (SD-cards, DVDs) where my wife can just click on it, the menu opens up and then she can select 'mount' or 'unmount' or 'open in new window'.

Edited by tux99

What are you saying about your wife? :D

that she wants easy point and click tools not CLI, she is no techie like me.

Seriously autofs is what I think you need. Easy to set up with full instructions in the man pages.

Thanks, I know autofs (although I didn't think about it with regards to this), it could be a possible solution, but I was wondering if what I described in my first post is possible, something that makes use of the storage media applet in the KDE task bar, that would work the same way as for physical removable media (SD cards, DVDs, USB-hdd)?

After all in the Media Applet Preferences panel it lists also 'Mounted NFS share' and 'Unmounted NFS share'.

Thanks, I know autofs (although I didn't think about it with regards to this), it could be a possible solution, but I was wondering if what I described in my first post is possible, something that makes use of the storage media applet in the KDE task bar, that would work the same way as for physical removable media (SD cards, DVDs, USB-hdd)?

After all in the Media Applet Preferences panel it lists also 'Mounted NFS share' and 'Unmounted NFS share'.

To answer my own question:

All that needs to be done is add the nfs mount to /etc/fstab with the 'noauto' and 'user' options, the storage applet will then instantly detect this mount point and display it on the task bar, as long as 'Mounted NFS share' and 'Unmounted NFS share' are ticked in the storage applet config.

After that the nfs share can be mounted and unmounted from the popup menu on the related storage applet icon on the task bar.