Verizon online DSL with Linux Mandrake 9.1?

neocytrix

You shouldn't need any software, I am on verizon dsl and just plugged in and went. as far as I know you should not have to set up any of the ppp stuff. At least not here in central IL.

I have verizon in northern Indiana, but I am behind a firewall. I got the dns numbers from verizon: 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.4 Use verizon.net as a host. My router configured with this info. Mail is pop incoming.verizon.net and smtp outgoing.verizon.net

I think it should autoconfigure with dhcp, because verizon uses dynamic ip, and not static ip's.

I never hook up to the net directly; you really should be behind a firewall.

yes, it would be a good idea to have a cable/dsl router, but if you can't you need to look for the pppoe package that exists somewhere (MCC->Software->Software Install search for just pppoe) so that you can use it to logon to the internet. it may be possible to set this up through the internet connection wizard that resides in MCC under internet, but I've never done it so i'm not sure....

• 2 weeks later...