more speedtouch problems, it connects but...

eska

I have built a new linux box and i have a couple of problems i have not had before.

1. My ethernet adaptor does not show up as an option in the mandrake control panel. I have complied the driver and added it in with the rest in /lib/modules/ it is a 3com 3c2000.o driver. I can add it with the insmod but how do i get mandrake to do it for me at boot.

2. in the can get the speedtouch to connect and when i do an ifconfig i can see it and the looopback. The problem is i cant access any web sites through browsers, the firewall is off. How do i get round this.

Many thanks,

Eska

Hi eska

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!

1. My ethernet adaptor does not show up as an option in the mandrake control panel. I have complied the driver and added it in with the rest in /lib/modules/ it is a 3com 3c2000.o driver. I can add it with the insmod but how do i get mandrake to do it for me at boot.

You have to add it to the file /etc/modules.

2. in the can get the speedtouch to connect and when i do an ifconfig i can see it and the looopback. The problem is i cant access any web sites through browsers, the firewall is off. How do i get round this.

The MDK firewall is tricky. If you install it and enable it, it usually act ok. But then, if you disable it from the Mandrake Control Center (MCC), everything is blocked. So you could do 2 things:

1) Enable the firewall in the MCC

2) Read and understand the file /etc/shorewall/routestopped. At the end of this file you should add something like this (your mileage may vary depending of your setup):

eth0    -

so that when you stop the firewall, you still can access the web via your internet interface.

Hope this help

MOttS

Thanks for the help. Question 1 is sorted.

Sorry but i must not have made sense in Q2. I don't have shorewall installed ( i don't want to either, i like guarddog ) I was just mentioned it so you would know it wasn't what was stopping me accessing web pages.

I tried to ping google and it worked, from what i have read i have a problem with my /etc/resolv.conf at the moment it is blank but i think it is the key to getting the web working.

Please advise,

Eska

I tried to ping google and it worked, from what i have read i have a problem with my  /etc/resolv.conf at the moment it is blank but i think it is the key to getting the web working.

OH .. you can ping Google. Nice. Your computer isn't able to guess the DNS IP. You have to give it to him. So enter your DNS IP (provided by your ISP) in /etc/resolv.conf. Mine look like that:

[gd@localhost gd]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

# search localdomain AEI

search localdomain aei

# nameserver 206.123.6.10

nameserver 206.123.6.11

# ppp temp entry

nameserver 206.123.6.11 # ppp temp entry

nameserver 206.123.6.10 # ppp temp entry

Don't know why the Wizard in the MCC don't ask for those...

You can also enter them is /etc/pppoe.conf (if you are using ADSL connection). Here is the section for me:

#Obtain DNS server addresses from the peer (recent versions of pppd only)

# In old config files, this used to be called USEPEERDNS.  Changed to

# PEERDNS for better Red Hat compatibility

PEERDNS=no

DNS1=

DNS2=

MOttS

Thank for your help I am now sorted.

For anyone else who wants to know the nameservers for BTinternet are

nameserver 194.73.73.94

nameserver 194.73.73.95

nameserver 194.72.6.57

There is aslo a second resolve.conf in /etc/ppp/

I updated them both and things are now well.

Thanks Again

Eska