Problem installing Mandrake 9.2 RC1

Guest chancm

When trying to install 9.2 RC1 to my Dell laptop, I came to this message:

I can't access a Mandrake Linux Installation disc in your CDROM drive (TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1902B). Retry?

What can I do now?

Guest njordan

Was going to install SuSe 8.2 but now I will try to install Mandrake Linux 9.2 RC1 (because I hear Mandrake is better). I am new at this and have a dumb question to ask. I downloaded Mandrake 9.2 RC1 from http://www.linuxcompatible.org. Ok I poped CD1 into my CD-ROM and restarted the computer. My BIOS is set to install OS from CD-ROM. But when I restarted the computer the CD1 didn't begin to run to start the installation process. What am I doing wrong? Do i need to create a boot disk? How do I do this?

Thanks in advance

njordan

Hmmm...

First you should check the MD5SUM's of your iso-images

then check if you burned your cd's Bootable

At least you should check, if your bios is set to boot first from cd rom

Guest njordan

Yes my BIOS is set to boot from the CD-ROM.

How do I check the MD5SUM's of my iso-images?

I think I burned the CDs bootable. This means finalize the session?

Thanks Again for your help

Go to your MDK FTP and klick on this 9.2rc1.md5sums.asc Link. Save the site as text document into the folder where your iso's are.

Open a Console ... switch to the directory, where your iso's are in and type :

md5sum -c 9.2rc1.md5sums.asc

Your iso' s get checked then ... the output will show you if they're ok. If not ... :twisted: Download again ...

Which Burn-Program do you use ? You just have to select "Writing iso file" or something like that.

It's ain installation CD, not an image CD. I use the same download-burn-installation procedure ever since 8.0 and there's no installation problem occurred until I come with this 9.2 version. I also tried to install this RC1 version to my testing desktop machine. It can detect my CDROM. But more serious problem happened while installation. When came to the selection of packages to install, I can't proceed. No matter which packages I selected (from minimum packages to all packages selected manually), it still pop this message:

<center>

basesystem package not selected

</center>

It bother me very much as I've selected all the packages. What is the basesystem package. Should it not include in the package selection menu? I really feel disappointed. Maybe it time to consider a change to Redhat.

But more serious problem happened while installation. When came to the selection of packages to install, I can't proceed. No matter which packages I selected (from minimum packages to all packages selected manually), it still pop this message:

<center>

basesystem package not selected

</center>

It bother me very much as I've selected all the packages. What is the basesystem package. Should it not include in the package selection menu? I really feel disappointed. Maybe it time to consider a change to Redhat.

You'll find on the cooker mailing list that this is possibly a bug in the RC1 release (still testing!):

http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/cooker/2...03-09/thrd2.php

bug 4495 and bug 5012

Before changing to RH I would wait and try the final 9.2. release.

Sorry that I can't help you more.