USB webcam and Prolific USB DataCable

Guest nikki6x

Guest nikki6x

Hi. I have 2 problems! May someone can help me!

1) I have a Creative PC-CAM 600 (USB) and I'm trying to make work as webcam and as camera but:

**as camera I can see it in GTKam (not always!!! Sometimes say "Couldn't not list device in /" why?) but I find some image in raw format and I cant open it with any program;

**as webcam I don't have found any documentation, maybe someone has this webcam? Or can say me where is some docs?? Please help me...

2) I must connect my laptop (with Debian) to my desktop (Mdk 9.1). I have a Prolific Usb DataCable that both my system can see in UsbView. Well... and now??? What I must do??? What modules I must load or file must conf??? Please help me becouse I use those system to work and I don't wanna be fired!!!

Thanks a lot to all and sorry form my english....

Nikki :shock:

OK,

On the first problem (webCam)

It sould be auto mounted and it should I think work as a USB mass storage device.

This depends on your actual camera.

If its supported as USB Mass-storage you just need to plug it in.

Then it should create itself as a fake SCSI device. It will probably be /dev/sda1 (however Ive seen it sometimes works as sda (note no 1)

Mandrake has been a bit inconsistent for me about automatically doing these things so I eventually ended up doing it myself.

Anyway ....

As root try this:

check /mnt/removable exists

if not create it.

mkdir /mnt/removable

Now you can try

mount /dev/sda /mnt/removable

if you get a error /dev/sda doesn't exist then try

mount /dev/sda /mnt/removable

if this comes back without any errors then its mounted.

you should be able to

cd /mnt/removable

and then ls

You should see directories or something, depending how your camera arranges itself.

Try all this and post any results or errors back!

What is your preferred language. We have lots of people that can help if you need.

USB datacables:

Sorry, don't know. Do you have ethernet .? that would be simpler!

However the quick method here only gives root access. If you get this far post back and well go further.

Guest nikki6x

No. It seems that my Creative Pc-600 not support Usb Mass Storage. I try to load this modules with modprobe (usb-storage and some modules for usb cameras like cpia... I don't know what is...) but no scsi device was created.

I read kernel logs with "tail -f /var/log/messages" when I connect my camera and it say this..

Sep 2 20:22:42 localhost kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-2, assigned address 4

Sep 2 20:22:42 localhost kernel: usb.c: USB device 4 (vend/prod 0x41e/0x400b) is not claimed by any active driver.

Sep 2 20:22:45 localhost /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usbcam for USB product 41e/400b/100

Sep 2 20:22:45 localhost /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Module setup usbcam for USB product 41e/400b/100

If my camera support mass storage something like " Initialising USB-Mass Storage" must appear...

Well.. Some times ago I read on a linux magazine that I could try to enable this feature for device that not support yet. Need to modify the "unusuale_devs.h" file before compiling a new kernel. In this file must be insert some value find launching command like lsusb (id manifacturer and ProdId) and so recompile the kernel with the new module. Well, I try but something not work correctly.

Now I'd like to try again but it's boring to recompile all a kernel.... Could I recompile only some modules? How I can do it?

Another. With gphoto2 I can enter in my camera fs (sometimes say that "could not list device in /"...but if I launch "ghpoto2 --shell" I can browse camera fs as a shell...).... only as root... but I can enter!!!! Why???

Tnx!!

Enrico.

Another. With gphoto2 I can enter in my camera fs (sometimes say that "could not list device in /"...but if I launch "ghpoto2 --shell" I can browse camera fs as a shell...).... only as root... but I can enter!!!! Why??? 

I suspect its mounting it somewhere but the directory is owned by root.

Has gphoto created and fstab entry ??

(Perhaps you just need to add a -o user)

Or the directory permissions of the directory where its mounted.

I have a few usb devices that create a /mnt/removeable but its owned by root. Your permissions propogate with a mount so you would browse it as root in a shell but not as a user.

So if you find where it is you can chmod +x +r the directory.

Guest nikki6x

This is my fstab file. It seems that there is any of strange. Only thing: I don't know what is /dev/pts...

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdb5 /data ext3 defaults 1 2

none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=auto 0 0

none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,user,defaults 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

none /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /rpm ext3 defaults 1 2

Question: but all the usb device connect to my system are list in /proc/bus/usb??? Can I have access to this device via this file (for example: can I mount that file to a dir?)??

Some times ago I had in /dev a file called ttyUSB but now is disappear.... By this file I had access to my siemens c55 mobile fs... Could I recreate it???

It seems to me that usb support is not completely working in linux...

byez

enrico