no flash or java

Guest carl

I just upgraded my pc from mandrake 10.1 official to spring 2007, installed the latest versions of adobe flash player and java, enabled both in all my browsers (opera 9.62, firefox 2.0, konqueror whatever) and they refuse to work. Am I missing something in this new version of Mandy? Java and flash player worked before, no matter what I try I can't get them to work now. Any suggestions?

If you upgrade from source, that can conflict with Mandriva's rpm's. You need to uninstall Mandriva's rpm's before upgrading from source, or else use the upgrades available from Mandriva's repositories. There are a couple of Flash rpm's you will likely find installed.

Opera requires Java JRE (not plugin). Opera will work fine with Icedtea in place of Java. Other browsers will use the Java plugin.

Also with Opera, you should only use one plugin folder. I recommend using the Mozilla folder since everything is there already. With Flash, you need to make sure that all the simlinks of libflashplayer.so point to the true libflashplayer.so of the Adobe Flash install.

Hello Carl, is there any particular reason you are not installing a more recent distribution? A 10.1 to 2007 spring is quite a large upgrade. There has been two versions in between them and 2007 spring was not the best release in itself. 2007.1 would be better or do a new install of 2008.1 or even 2009.0

You say you have installed the latest flash player which in itself will be aimed at a later kernel version than what was shipped with 2007.0 and this may be the reason for it not co-operating.

This post is in addition to David's. Just more to consider IMHO.

I basically upgraded to 2007 because I'm using an older pc, AMD 2600+ running at 1.9 Ghz, 512 Mb ram, didn't really want to upgrade to the newest version for fear there wouldn't be support for older equipment. I did try uninstalling both jre and flash plugins and installing an older version of the jre, that didn't work either and not much in the way of older flash players for linux. To be totally honest, there are some things I don't care for in the 2007 edition, so I think I'm going to try 2008.1, if I have problems with that I'm going back to 10.1 at least until I upgrade my pc.

IMO, 2007.1 was a very good release. 2008.1 is as well. I didn't use 2007.0 or 2008.0, but I don't think they were as good as the .1 Spring releases.

For Flash, I would uninstall Mandriva's Flash Plugin and Libflashsupport, and install Flash 10 from Adobe's site. There is an rpm for Flash on Adobe's site. Download the rpm, right-click on it and choose Open with Software Installer.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Unfortunately, no dice. I uninstalled everything flash or java, libraries, all of it, reinstalled and it still refuses to work. I've even copied the files into the appropriate folders which I've had to do once before, and that still doesn't fix it. Never really had this problem before, in the past all I've needed to do is basically install the rpm packages and everything gets put where it's supposed to be. Oh well, I don't think I'll spend any more time on it, I'm almost finished downloading 2008.1, gonna see if that one works any better, so far everyone has said it's pretty good. Thanks for all the suggestions.