chris:b

Hi all,

just wanted to let you know that I found a VERY nice software for:

- creating html web galleries

- slideshows

- thumbnails

- editing fotos, alot of different effects

- and more.

It's PixiePlus 0.5.4 (KDE), packed for mandrake by a volunteer, you'll find the rpm in /contrib.

I have not tested all features, but the web gallery is exactly what I was looking for: it comes with a few templates, which you can easily change, no need of html stuff knowledge.

The effects and editing function are comparable with Paint Shop Pro. Take a look at the web site:

http://www.mosfet.org/pixie/

There you'll find the one problematic point - because of the special KDE implementation in MDK, the mimetypes are broken, so the 'converting' of images doesn't work, at least not out of the box. And you can read that Mandrake does not package PixiePlus officially because 'they got no time'.And after installing, you have to run menudrake to get an entry in your menus ( an easy one).

I am glad that I've found PP, because Kalbum was not very usefull for me. And I ran Windows to create easily a web gallery.

Cool,

How's this working in the thumbnail/photo browser department these days? I had tried this before and it wouldn't display the thumbs when I opened a folder filled with jpeg's.

I have been waiting for a good replacement for window's ACDsee photo browser and thought this would be it someday. I would like to see thumbs of all images (jpg, gif, psd, etc), click for preview, and be able to easily sort to other folders.

I have been waiting for a good replacement for window's ACDsee photo browser and thought this would be it someday. I would like to see thumbs of all images (jpg, gif, psd, etc), click for preview, and be able to easily sort to other folders.

PP does all this - and more. Three windows on the screen: folders (like konqueror) - thumbnails - preview. The thumbnails with a right-click menu to organize and edit the files...

It's worth trying. If there was not this problem: mimetypes, so you can't convert images (also batch converting), I'd say: wonderful. If someone knows a solution for it, please let me know. I guess it's something in the kde control centre, editing mime types?

Got to try it out a bit here, and find it does allright. Not quite what I am looking for... yet, but glad it helps you out in the web gallery department. Will have to try that later.

The overall look and feel is better than GQview, but it doesn't like my .psd or cmyk .jpg files. GQview will display the cmyk files half decent. In PixiePlus I seem to have to do extra work to keep the current view current with the tree view. PixiePlus also leaves hidden files behind whereas I can turn that off in GQview.

GQview also has the option to send a picture to gimp, which is where I would prefer to edit my images. If the gimp was to add another popular feature that photoshop has, it would be a batch processing feature. This would be really sweet.

If I could only combine the things I like with PixiePlus and GQview, I think we would have a winner.

Oh, and it made its own icon for me in K-> Multimedia-> Graphics-> PixiePlus image manager.

Scoopy, thanks for your feedback on Pixie.

I looked at GQview. Nice features, indeed. But the look, hm.

So I searched a bit - and found GThumb. Release 2.1.0 is in /contrib. Ok, now I am happy (without Pixie).

- Renaming files (batch)

- Converting files (batch)

- scaling images

(in the next version: resizing, batch - not yet packaged for mdk)

- and TADA: creating web galleries with just lovely templates :D - and you can add new customized themes/templates.

I need these 4 things to create very easily a web gallery, and it comes in one software. Background: since we got a digital camera, my partner wants me to set the pics on our website, for friends and family, and such a digi cam produces a lot of pic's, believe me :roll:

Of course gthumb has more features, thumbnails, editing files, manipulating images ...

Nice GUI too. Gnome 2.2.

Next week I'll go looking for a card reader, so I don't have to boot Windows. Any suggestions? Is an Apacer 6 in 1 known as working with Mandrake 9.1?

digital cameras also tend to fill up the harddrive in a hurry too :lol:

Tho I am not too knowledgeable with card readers... I have heard of problems with the combo readers. I would investigate more before purchasing one.

I gotta check out this GThumb now. Looks promising :D

Tho I am not too knowledgeable with card readers... I have heard of problems with the combo readers. I would investigate more before purchasing one.

I gotta check out this GThumb now.  Looks promising :D

Yes, I can remember about problems with the multi card readers. But single card readers are almost not available anymore. I'd like to buy the reader at my local computer shop, nice folks there, I got all our LAN stuff stuff there.

And they sell only Apacer readers. 17 Euros. They are known to work with SuSE (found it on an usb website with a big database ...) But you never know how mdk is doing.

Anyway, thanks, Scoopy!