Sound server fatal error.....

Guest bpitsenb

Guest bpitsenb

I recently have had a problem with my acount which i had to solve by deleting the acount and creating a new one of the same name. Ever since i've done this i get fatal errors from the sound server upon logging in. The messages are generally something like:

Sound Server Fatal error:

/tmp/mcop-blaine is not owned by user

So i thought i could solve this problem by giving myself ownership of this folder. This produces a similar, but slightly different error. I'm new to the entire Linux thing, so i'm sure that there is some simple solution to this problem.Thanks,

-Blaine P.

[i'm running a AMD athalon 1200 mhz with onboard sound and plenty of ram. My os is Mandrake 8.2]

Guest bpitsenb

I tried deleting /home/blaine/.kde, it did nothing but change the colors of my desktop. It seems like it wants the folder to be owned by some system acount, i'm just not sure who to give ownership of the file. Depending on wether i own the file or not it gives me one of two messages:

If i don't own the file:

/tmp/mcop-blaine is not owned by user

if i do own the file:

/tmp/mcop-blaine is accesable owned by user

Looks lile a no-win situation.. Who is the owner of your mcop-<your name> file?

-Blaine P.

Guest bpitsenb

:shock: I'm not entirely sure what happened. I loged in as root and attempted to move the entire /tmp/ folder to another location. This caused kde to crash. I rebooted, did all the filesystem checks, and tried to log back in(this is automatic, i use the graphical login)the entire process would freeze and all that would happen was the n'vidia splash screen would blink on over and over (i think the system was repedly trying to start the x-server and failing). Anyway i logged into the failsafe mode, and did a command prompt only login, and tinkered with the /tmp folder as root. I couldn't delete the entire folder, it wouldn't let me. I kinda gave up and rebooted, then left to go get a cup of coffee. When i got back it had booted normally. And... the sound works fine now. So i guess you were right, deleting the contents od the /tmp folder fixed it. One more question: When you use the graphical login, how do you login command prompt only mode? The only was i have been able to do this is through failsafe mode.

Thanks,

-Blaine P.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest FenestraeNunquam

so did this ever get fixed ??

I just installed mdk 9.0 and I have NO SOUND.

I am getting the same Fatal error blah blah that Blaine was getting.

I can't understand why a simple like sound doesn't work out of the box with mdk 9.0. I just have a S-B card. Nothing weird. It should just work.

Someone please help me get sound.

Guest bpitsenb

Sorry for the delayed response, i was home for Thanksgiving break and didn't have a computer.

To fix the problem in my case:

1. booted command prompt only (actually what i used was the failsafe mode)

2. Logged in as root

3. Removed everything in /tmp

Warning: Make sure you are in command prompt only mode. Otherwise you will be removing files that are currently being used by the system and it will cause you all kinds of problems ( I made this mistake).

This process caused me to lose alot of personal config settings for kde. But getting my sound back was worth it.

-Blaine P.